New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington M700 belted magnum issues
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We have been getting a good number of belted mag 700's in with failure to extract and hard chambering complaints.

Extraction: The culprit is almost always a rough chamber. This is easily alleviated by a quick chamber polish with 600-1000 grit silicon carbide paper on a split dowel padded with a cleaning patch. Final polish with oiled paper.

Chambering issues can frequently be traced to exposed extractor band edges. This is usually evident by brass shavings in the bolt face and damaged brass rims. You will need to carefully use a medium diamond ball bit in a roto tool to chamfer it so the rim slides over.

Bob

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Bobster,

Do you find that the Sako or M16 type extractors help with case extraction on the M700?

I have the M16 type extractor on my M700 short action in 6.5mm SAUM and it seems to me to be a better option than the M700 standard extractor - seems to give a much better purchase on the case rim.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kiwiwildcat, There are 214 threads/posts in 'find' on the Sako/M700 extractor to keep you busy for an hour or two tu2 . jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

To further Johns post:
I put together a post on changing the extractors in the 700 some time ago. The extractor edges can be broken while in the bolt, you just have to be very careful that you don't remove any of the actual bolt nose rim itself. There are pictures here about 15 posts down showing where to round the edges.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/8671075902/p/6

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I have not seen issues with the Remington extractor regarding ease of extraction. Despite the delicate looking appearance of the thing it will tear the rim off brass cases. It's kinda like those "Shark Bite" plumbing connections; the harder you pull the tighter it gets. In our shop we find chamber finish is the key determiner of ease of extraction.
quote:
Originally posted by kiwiwildcat:
Bobster,

Do you find that the Sako or M16 type extractors help with case extraction on the M700?

I have the M16 type extractor on my M700 short action in 6.5mm SAUM and it seems to me to be a better option than the M700 standard extractor - seems to give a much better purchase on the case rim.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
As has been stated ad infinitum, the factory 700 extractor works very well, fully as well as any other and better than some. The after market extractors are for those who do not know that, and are willing to pay $200 to their gunsmith for installing one.
I install them frequently; not because they are better, but because they are "thought" to be better. The customer is always right. In some other world maybe.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet you would tell me to get screwed if I wanted that done.

Anyway, the only time I use the Sako/M-16 style extractors is when I get a bolt from PT&G. They work well because the geometry is set up to fling the case straight out, instead of up into your scope turret.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

I install them frequently; not because they are better, but because they are "thought" to be better. The customer is always right. In some other world maybe.

When I was working for them, Larry Thompson at Weatherby's used to say that: "The customer is always right, even if he is really REALLY REALLY R E A L L Y R E A L L Y fucking wrong." Larry was very diplomatic !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ADD NOTE TO THE ACTUAL THREAD:

coffee
A lot of times the hard close is related to the head of the rivet, inside the bolt rim. If the cartridge rim has a vertical slash in it, 9 times out of ten it is the rivet and the head must be ground down a touch to give clearance.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
I bet you would tell me to get screwed if I wanted that done.

Anyway, the only time I use the Sako/M-16 style extractors is when I get a bolt from PT&G. They work well because the geometry is set up to fling the case straight out, instead of up into your scope turret.

The folks at PT&G told me that their M700 223 bolts eject Fireball cases without issue.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Around here, we say the customer may not be right, but he is still the customer.
We try to help. Some people can't be helped.

Posts: 53 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 01 December 2017Reply With Quote