New
Find
Notify
Tools

pre-64 bolt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend just inherited a pre-64(1948) Mod 70 (270) and can't dismantle the bolt for cleaning. Anywhere I can find such info? He says the safety is hard to put on "safe", and thinks it might have something broken inside. I know nothing about them. He says when he moves the safety back to "safe" that there seems to be a lot of FP movement. My guess was he's compressing the firing pin spring some, but he thinks it shouldn't be this hard. Since I'm trying to help him from 700 miles away, I could use some help. Thanks

Posts: 179 | Location: No. Idaho | Registered: 23 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gimpy:
A friend just inherited a pre-64(1948) Mod 70 (270) and can't dismantle the bolt for cleaning. Anywhere I can find such info? He says the safety is hard to put on "safe", and thinks it might have something broken inside. I know nothing about them. He says when he moves the safety back to "safe" that there seems to be a lot of FP movement. My guess was he's compressing the firing pin spring some, but he thinks it shouldn't be this hard. Since I'm trying to help him from 700 miles away, I could use some help. Thanks

If he suspects that anything is broken, he should take the gun to a gunsmith to have it checked out. But if he just wants to pull the firing pin to clean it or look at it, have him try to move the safety lever to the middle position as he is lowering the bolt handle. Once he has the safety in this position, he can simply depress the little detent or catch on the side of the bolt shroud, and unscrew the assembly from the body of the bolt.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, malm, knew you'd come thru. He got it apart, OK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go over to the campground on the river and ask for Fred Gustafson. He is a model 70 sauvant. Tell him I sent you.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jim, I may do that. BTW, whatcha doin' in Minnesota? You have my sympathy.