Find
Notify
Tools

classic pre-war mauser features
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted
I have finally settled on what I want to build. (its olny taken me two years, and it could take me another three years to get it done, but at least I have a plan now.) A classic 7x57 pre-war style german '98, full stock, double shnable forend, Obendorf style bolt, three leaf express sights, no scope mounts, half oct./half round barrel, set triggers, yadda, yadda, yadda...

I know I want a hinged floor plate and there are a couple of differnet methods for latching. How practical/reliable is the lever style latch? I like to carry my rifle as opposed to sling it. I see the latch being a PITA for carrying, but the "style" almost demands it be there. For the gents that have this on thier hunting rifles; Do you find it in the way? Does it have a tendency to open when least desired or is it pretty much just out of the way and I have a concern over nothing?

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't notice mine at all when carrying by grabbing the center of the rifle, nor has it opened at an inappropriate time yet.

I think that is the greater drawback, however. It will sooner or later pop open when I least expect it.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have one on a 375 that is built on a single square bridge W-R mauser. Works perfectly and don't have any reason to believe it would open accidentally. It is exposed and would be easy to scrape to one side though. It is a modified original Obendorf 10.5 box that has been opened up to take 375 length and being wider has good capacity and feeds flawlessly. I used it as it was available and I didn't want to spend the money for a Blackburn dropped box.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of these rifles that I have handled seemed to balance at the forward action screw, keeping your hand well ahead of the lever when carrying.

Here is link to rifle that is almost as you described it. They have some good pics. Keep in mind that express sights were a British feature found on the Model A rifle. The other models (you described a Model S carbine) usually had the European style 3-leaf precision sights where the 200 and 300 leaves folded fore and aft of the standing blade.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_40&products_id=3233

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
That's the style, sans scope and square bridges.
AS for the leaf sights, I know exactly what you describe. I'll have to see if I can find a US supplier... or make my own.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Here's a Solid Model of the Bolt handle I'll make for it. I want somethin just slightly differant, but not gaudy.

[URL= ]bolt handle[/URL]

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That will be a nice looking bolt.

As to the lever release for the floor plate ... I have that style on one of my rifles amd I do not notice it at all when shooting or carrying it. It does not cause discomfort problems when slung either. However, after unslinging the rifle one time I did notice that lever was pushed off to the side. Just a little farther and it would have come open and dumped my rounds. It probably got bumped by or rubbed against my pack or something.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When a lever is properly installed, a pin will protrude from the floorplate that fits in a hole on the underside of the lever. It can often be adjusted to snug up the lever. The lever then has to be "snapped" open and closed.

NECG and Jeff have the rear sights with the verticle folding leaves.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Just use some duct tape, that'll keep it shut!

Think you'll be fine with a lever release. I've never had a problem with the rifle I have which has a lever release. Just keep yourself wary that it's there and to check it every so often while hunting, because accidents do happen as almost happened with 54JNoll.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to be the odd guy out but I HAD a lever latch floor plate that was a constant PITA. I do have quite large hands and my rifle balanced precisly on the floor plate, and yes, I did have it open twice. I finally welded up the hole and installed a push button catch. They are attractive - especially on the style rifle you describe. Don't let my experience change your mind although I would try to keep the balance point near the front screw.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
thanks for the link KurtC. Jeff has exactly the sight desired. I was thinking along the lines of a detent pin, but figured it would be hidden and work against the latch inside the trigger guard. But as it would be hidden by the lever except during manipulation, through the floor would be an exceptable option.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have lieterally been all over the world with a rifle with a lever release. Never had it open accidentally. It can happen, but I also know several people who have had push-button releases open up while hunting. They are the ones in front of the trigger guard, such as on a Weatherby, Winchester, CZ, etc. One of the people I know who had it happen is an AK bear guide and was tracking a wounded brown bear on the Penninsula. All of his stored rounds were dumped in the mud. When he found the bear, it was dead, but he pins every magazine floorplate now.

A properly fit lever is no more likely to open up than a CZ floorplate.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote