New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith Corona 03"s?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There's a SC 03 at a local shop. Green parkerized finish, 4,xxx,xxx ser #. Were the SC's up to the quality of the Rem's? Can the green finish be removed and the action nicely re-blued? This has been sporterized, any idea of a reasonable value-I could likely dicker to $200 or so. I want to build a nice Whelen on it.
Thanks!

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
The SC's are considered the best of them. When the CMP had a supply of them last year the SC's were the first to sell out, and I mean fast.

If it's still all military, complete and matched, it's likely worth more like 350-500 and most guys would beg you to leave it original. ESPECIALLY, if all your going to use is the action.
You could pick up a used action or barreled action for probably under $100

[ 11-21-2003, 22:06: Message edited by: Pa.Frank ]

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where could I find an 03 action for that kind of money? Any idea about refinishing a parkerized receiver? Thanks!

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a semi-sporterized SC 03A3 two years ago for $225.00. I am rebuilding it into an NRA Sporter style rifle. All things being equal I would take a SC over A Remington, but there is nothing wrong with a Remington.

The phosphate/parkerized finish can be removed and the rifle blueed. YOu will not many tool marks on the action. If you want a good looking rifle, it is best to remove these by hand and not grind up the action on a buffer. It took me about ten hours of work to remove these tool marks and the results is a very nice action.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote