New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel for receiver and bolt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does somebody know what kind or type of steel suppose to be used for a receiver and bolt?.

What i know is some factory rifles use 4140 (ST-70) steel or 4340 (ST-90), or 416R stainless steel.

What grade of Brinnel or Rockwell hardness suppose to be fine for this purpose?

Should all the surfaces to be hardened...or just the lugs? (bolt lugs and receiver lugs).

How the hardening process done?...

Highly appreciate for the help.
Sebastian.

Posts: 38 | Location: Indonesia | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello??...somebody know and help me please?...

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Sebastian: I'm not sure what exactly your looking for but the link(s) below may help.

web page

Steel designations

Steel numbering system

I hope this helps.

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Here's another link

Steel codes

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Yet another on heat treatments......

heat treatments

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a wild guess here, but I'm going to offer that chrome steel should be hardened to about RC40-42. I don't know if stainless can be hardened; I'm guessing the hardening is done by how it's alloyed. Hardening is done by alloying various metals and then heat-treating. Anybody got anything else?

[ 07-02-2003, 20:16: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can take a steel such as 4140 or 416 and harden it or you can take a steel with less carbon and case harden it (add carbon to the surface) and harden it.Hardnes would be in the 45-50 Rc range I would assume.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the responses.
I use 4340 steel (nikel-chrome molibdenum steel) for my own action. It is almost done now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sebastian, 4340 is a very nice,tough steel, good choice. If it is hardened and tempered at 1000F it will give you Rc 42 that ought to do it. Let us know how you progress.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys!.
My rifle shoot a quarter minute and win the second place silver medal in national schale shooting competition held last July 19-20 in Jakarta.
Most of the competitors used Steyr SSG P1 and P2, Sako 75, Voere Titan, AW (artic warfare), Sauer 2000, 202, etc.
I'm glad with the result. [Cool]
It is from the 4340 steel and hardened on the all lugs (both the receiver and the bolt), it has 6 locking lugs, three rings of steel concept like Remington700, Hart bbl in 1:10twist -23", 60degree of bolt tilt, very short pin travel, very lighweight pin sets and heavy pin spring to fit the shortest lock time.
I don't know how to attach the pics........will someone help me how?

[ 07-28-2003, 20:51: Message edited by: sebastian ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sebastian, congratulations, a job very well done !!

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
When you post a reply, look at the left side of the screen for a link below Mesasge:
That says "UBB Code is enabled."
click on that and it will tell you how to post a picture. You have to have it loaded up on the web somewhere already though.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Hello Sebatian, any pics of your rifle yet?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I would like to see them also. If you can email them to me I will post them here. acillo@alltel.net