New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning A-Bolt Safety... troubles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an A-Bolt on which the safety (tang) does not want to go on "safe".

Any suggestions?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Terry in my opinion the best way to fix an A-Bolt is to trade it in on a decent rifle that isn't made of copious sub-assemblies, mousetrap springs, and potmetal.

A good Model 700, Ruger 77, or push-feed Model 70 will do.........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen, the A-Bolt contains the same amount of potmetal as your rifle does. Really, I agree--he ought to trade it in on a M700 with a plastic trigger guard as they're so much more durable than aluminum alloy...or maybe the Remington and Winchesters with aluminum bottom metal are blessed by the Pope or something to exclude them from criticizm.

Terry, first take it out of the stock and see if it works then. If it does look for interference between the trigger and trigger guard or from the safety against the stock itself at the tang area with the stock back on. If it doesn't work out of the stock, have a gunsmith take a look at it if you aren't the mechanical type.

Of course I'm assuming you're familiar with the A-Bolt safeties--they only work when the action is cocked.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote