New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trap buttplate designs???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have a SIMPLE trap butt plate design they'd care to share? The rifle has a plain Jane steel plate and I'm fitting a peep sight to the rear claw-mount base. I'd like to be able to stow the peep under the plate for convenience. Minimum weight is a plus!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one from Roger Biesen in Spokane WA. If you do a search online, I think you will find his site and pictures.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless something else turns up I guess I'll try Dunlop's design, although his preamble of "Making a trap butt plate is a devilish job..." is not terribly encouraging!

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your time is worth more than four dollars an hour...buy a Biesen..

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sold plate to Butch

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
If your time is worth more than four dollars an hour...buy a Biesen..

Generally I'd agree but the fact is this is simply a personal project. So my time really doesn't count, in fact depending on how it goes it may be an investment in learning! The plate on this (existing) stock is somewhat "different" and replacement would require radical alteration to an already borderline length of pull. Just fishing for ideas. If I hose it up too bad I'll need to replace the whole stock and maybe then some other maker's plate can be incorporated... or maybe the entire project will take a different direction!
bewildered

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nomo

Do you have a photo and price for your buttplate?

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craftsman,
I PMed him a couple days ago and he hasn't responded.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem. I installed patch box from Track of the wolf on the rifle I built from my son. Looks great. Had a place to engrave his name.
Jeff

The true measure of a hunters skill is not the size of the trophy but rather the length of the shot with the greater measure of skill being the shorter shot---Jeff Cooper

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many of my custom rifles have M70 pre64 buttplates. Would be nice to find one with a trap cut into it. Would fit right on.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jnc91, great idea! Can you advise which one you used? The only one(s) I see that would be close to proper size for my project don't appear to come with springs.
While the capbox idea is interesting, it's not the metal parts I'm concerned about - I can do that easy enoug - but rather fitting and possibly making the necessary spring(s) to make it operate properly. Insight on TOW's product would be appreciated. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nomo4me, PM sent.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the idea of a trap but plate.
I have for a long time. I like the idea of a trap pistol grip too.
But in the mean time , I am looking for a decent leather smith to make me a pouch that will fit on my sling.
...tj3006

freedom1st