Find
Notify
Tools

S & W 642 Trigger Shape
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted
Looking at the 642 for the little woman and she likes the gun but given her hands the trigger pull is looong. Was thinking maybe someone makes a different profile trigger to help this but I don't see anything out there. Anyone know of anything or secondly, was thinking the trigger could be built up and re-shaped. Essentially, the trigger needs to be moved forward. any ideas are appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pull too long ?? Want to move it FORWARD ??
If the LOP [backstrap to trigger] is too long there usually isn't too much you can do. Try another gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Differant grips might help.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pull too long ?? Want to move it FORWARD

It's hard to describe, obviously i failed. The problem is how her finger hits the trigger, it hits in the middle section of her finger, not the front pad, nor the crease so when she shoots, her finger wraps around the trigger and she actually pinches her finger between the trigger and inside the trigger guard. Shes got skinny hands and long fingers and was thinking a straighter trigger would help take up space. The Ruger LCR is basically the same.

Thought about different grips as well...will see what I can find,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get her a trigger shoe. Goes over trigger and gives her a wider contact area while moving the trigger contact point forward a small amount. Attaches to trigger with two set screws. It can be reshaped and smoothed as required to fit her hand. Available at Brownells and other suppliers, might find in a well-equipped gun shop that does a lot of revolver work. Keep us posted on results.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trigger shoes must NEVER be used for a carry gun !

That's a better description.Now I understand. You need to move her hand back .I had a shooter complaining about a similar problem. I asked him to hold his hand up against mine .Our hands are large , size 9, but his fingers were a full 1/2" longer than mine .I told him to make his grips ,that he wanted to do, with enough wood to cover the backstrap of his K-frame S&W with 1/2" of wood.
Next time I saw him he showed me his wellmade grips .Following my instructions he had grips that solved the problem perectly and he was very happy ! Big Grin
See what you can do along those lines .