New
Find
Notify
Tools

98 ramp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have got my .243 98 mauser sporter to feed the rounds. But it's still not a very smooth operation. Thumping or Bumping the extractor made a world of improvement. How to tell if your 98 ramp needs polishing and what's the best way to polish it? I don't see this addressed in my Kuhnhausen book, may have over looked it.
Thanks

Posts: 2668 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to make them a bit shiny, start with medium emory cloth and switch to/finish with fine. Wrap the cloth around a dowel or something similar and go for it. Wet/dry paper with H2O or MS works just as well.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The feeding would have to be analyzed to determine where in the procedure the "bump" is needed. I don't think it is just the feed ramp. How does the cartridge fit under the extrctor?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think it is just the feed ramp. How does the cartridge fit under the extrctor?

+1 tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know, your rifle is a 98 chambered to 243, the 98 is a control feed, as opposed to a push feed, I suggest you remove the stock then assemble the action with the mag/trigger guard then attempt chambering rounds (without the stock), The barrel face is/should be flat with a slight radius on the edge of the chamber to prevent scratching, marring and or gouging your cases. When chambering a round in a 98 Mauser the rounds must be feed from the magazine.

As opposed to cone faced barrels, the cone guides the round when chambering a round, the M1917 has a cone faced barrel, the P14 has a flat face barrel, the bullet guide for the P14 is part of the magazine. And I know the P14 shoots 303 ammo with a rim and the M1917 shoots rimless cases.

Then there is the magazine spring, when it looses it ability to push cases up the rifle feeds with 5 rounds in the magazine, but not when feeding from the magazine with one round.

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
F.Guffey,

Not wanting to kick the nest, but I ask clarification on the 98 requiring feeding from the magazine only. I, as do most others, have a few rifles based on the 98, and all mine have extractors that snap over the rim of a single dropped in the chamber with no need to be magazine fed. Fine tuning is, I believe, the ointment for flawless CR feeding and extraction/ejection.
Duane Wiebe's fantastic posting at the head of this Gunsmithing section helps greatly in understanding feeding the beasts and lesser forest creatures.

Merry Christmas,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duane Wiebe's fantastic posting at the head of this Gunsmithing section

“I don't see this addressed in my Kuhnhausen book, may have over looked it.

Thanks”

“F.Guffey,

Not wanting to kick the nest, but I ask clarification on the 98 requiring feeding from the magazine only. I, as do most others, have a few rifles based on the 98, and all mine have extractors that snap over the rim of a single dropped in the chamber with no need to be magazine fed. Fine tuning is, I believe, the ointment for flawless CR feeding and extraction/ejection.
Duane Wiebe's fantastic posting at the head of this Gunsmithing section helps greatly in understanding feeding the beasts and lesser forest creatures”

Lord Frith, I was not talking to or addressing the choir, if you know everything there is to know about the subject, address your help to the OP, and I did not ask you what you thought about “Duane Wiebe's fantastic posting at the head of this Gunsmithing section”, if you believe Loibib missed that section help the OP locate the article, then point out help sections he could use as an aid in finding an answer.

It does not amaze me when a question is asked and the answer puts the original poster in a dead run before basic principles are understood.

http://www.reductioadrofl.com/...xtractor_claw_01.htm

F. Guffey

Posts: 453 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 16 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One could probably write an encyclopedia on "How to pound in a nail".

The posting "makilng it feed" gives a foundation...the rest is home work.

I have commissioned printing of a booklet on feedsing issues, should be delivered to me 12-28.

The booklet (20 pages) is a humble effort to help the reader avoid the pitfalls... which I've stumbled through first hand.

It is aimed primarily at DGR's based on the 98 system.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any "making it feed" treatise should start with cartridge recommendations.
Certain cartridges like the 6mm Rem feed very well in a Mauser for very specific reasons.
Some like the .243 are crummy to make feed.

My choice is to leave the short fat designs for push feeds and single shot bolt guns.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Any "making it feed" treatise should start with cartridge recommendations.............Some like the .243 are crummy to make feed.

Not if you know what you are doing. Big Grin

But yes, some cartridges are more plug and play than others.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote