New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRC vs Win 70 inletting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know what the differences are between the Winchester 70 classic and the M1999? Can a Win 70 stock be modified to fit the M1999? Thanks in advance.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
longshot,
i am in that process right now. i bought a take off stock and got an action to build a shop gun. i am using it to build several fixtures to polish some of the as cast surfaces and to learn what is going to be needed to put these in available stocks. my idea is to give my customers a better gun value than a converted military gun. i will gladly post what is needed when i get to it. the paying work has me swamped right now.

Posts: 128 | Location: southeastern pa | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I asked a stock turner the same question and he said there were areas that were fine and some would have gaps. Others on this board tried it with synthetics and all were surprised at the difficulty. At least you can fill a glass stock and paint it. I decided to start from scratch.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The only difference is the the length of the receiver. You have to inlet a bit more, maybe a quarter inch, for the front receiver ring. Otherwise it's almost a drop-in.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, is the bottom metal between the two? What about the bolt release?

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The hole spacing between the front and rear guard screw is the same on both and the "one piece" floorplate/trigger bow assembly is interchangeable. The boxes are not however.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote