Find
Notify
Tools

70 Classic Bolt Handle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Howdy

I want to do a bit of customization on a model 70 Classic I have, and one of the things that has to go is that sort of ugly knurled bolt knob.

How careful does one have to be to weld on a new knob on a classic? I think I read someplace that the whole thing is soldered on to the bolt body.

Who makes a good replacement bolt or knob.

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
22WRF

You are correct in the fact that a m70 classic's bolt is not one piece. I don't think the handle is soldered on though. I believe it is pressed on.
As far as how careful you have to be? I would say very. You would also need some kind of jig to hold the bolt and handle in place while you weld it. You will also want a tig type welder, no stick or wire. You still run the risk of warping the bolt, and also if you get really hot you cold ruin the heat treat on the lugs them self’s.
You can get the jig and some different styles of bolt handles from brownells.

I will say this, if you are only going to this one in your life thin I would find a good gunsmith and turn it over to them. They usually aren’t that high plus it’s there already to be reblued.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You dont like the model 70 bolt knob? Wow! Im wondering what kind you like?

I think its about the best factory bolt knob there is.

Alot of custom winchester pre 64 and classic rifles retain the origanal bolt knob for its looks/style and function. And alot of custom replaced knobs on other rifles are made to emulate its style and function.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is only the knob your want to replace, it would be no problem at all. Since the welding would be near the end of the handle there would be little problem with heat transfer to the root. I've done this before and it really is no problem. If one wants to replace the shank of the handle as well, it is a bit more of a problem but still do-able. A Talley knob would be fine.
As I,and many others, have repeatedly stated, the Winchester handle is indeed silver soldered or silver brazed in place. It fits onto a knurled extension at the rear of the bolt body. It is easily retained in place during any reasonable welding operations. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:

Alot of custom winchester pre 64 and classic rifles retain the origanal bolt knob for its looks/style and function. And alot of custom replaced knobs on other rifles are made to emulate its style and function.

I like the knob but I don't like the knurling or whatever its called. I want checkered panels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
22WRF,
If you are going to go that route, you might want to take a look at the following. It is a pre checkered bolt knob by Stan McFarland (or his son). A real bargain when you go and price one of these done on the bolt. A lot of folks will not do after it is welded anyway.

McFarland Bolt Knob

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:

The pre-64 bolt knob: Yes! The post-64 bolt knob: NO! The knurled band on the knob is ugly. Smiler

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote