New
Find
Notify
Tools

greenie ...need some help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi guys and thanks for reading, I am looking to buy a new rig for hunting, a mountain gun something small and light that can take whatever mother nature can throw at it . I realy like the remington TI weight and gun overall but they don't offer it in 270 wsm and that is the caliber I would like. I don't have the kind of money to just go to a guy and say hey build me a custom gun , the guys over on 24 hr campfire say that a semi custom can be done for around 12-1500. So that is what I am looking to do ( bear in mind this is my first time at this, so yes I don't know how to get it done but I know what I like)
Here are some question I would like to ask from you guy that know a lot more about this than me.
First getting an action I know MRC is offering a short action is there anyone else selling just the action or am I limited to crusing the used gun rack for one, and does what caliber the short action is have any affect on what I want to build ? Next I have a question on triggers Timney , Basics, or jewell and why ? How about barrel selection Pacnor, schnieder, Kreiger there are just too many to list them all ? Next a light weight stock , I have seen a lot of guys like the Bansner any other recomedations I know Mc's are good but I guys are saying they are a little heavy? I have been hunting for a long time and have only had to put a second shot into an animal once in my life in 27 years of hunting ,knowing this what barrel contour would you select? I would like to be about 6.5 or a shade more with glass and all.Just one last question , is the matte finish as weather proff as the traditional finish on an ss action and barrel I like the matte better less glare .I know this is a lot to ask and maybe I am just out of my mind thinking this can be done but I figured if anyone would know it would be someone here. Thanks agian I really appreciate any help you guys could offer.

Posts: 57 | Location: Long Island NY | Registered: 21 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Wild One,

Building a custom or semi-custom rifle can add up to real bucks without too much effort at all. I suggest you first look for a used custom rifle, because often times what someone else had built can almost match your needs -- at a real discount.

For example on gunsamerica.com I see the following:

Ultra light arms mountain rifle. 280 Ackley improved 24" #2 barrel, aluminum rings and bases, 5 3/4 lbs, tack driver, mint condition. $1,850

This is not exactly what you want in caliber, but it will certainly do what you want.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My local Gunshop, Grice's in Clearfield PA, is offering a limited run of Remington 700's in 270 WSM. They aren't in Titanium, but it tells me that the old thinking, where one manufacturer would hold out for years until they chambered a rifle in a cartridge with the competitions name on it, may be gone.

It also says that Remington has 270 WSM reamers, so if you contact the custom shop, they may make you just what you are looking for.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/custom/custom.htm

It's worth a phone call anyway.

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wild One
I read your post and got sidetracked before I could answer. [Wife came home and handed me the New Gun List.] I looked to see if there were any custom rifles that might fit your needs, and LO and Behold I saw the add on the Ultra Light Arms rifle Hunter Jim listed. He is exactly correct, a used custom rifle is the best buy in the industry. I have never owned an Ultra Lite rifle, but I have liked those that I have seen. Another advantage of a used rifle is that you can see exactly how it looks and handles and usually you can shoot them too.
Exploring the used custom rifle market is a good idea.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any tips on publications or on the web to look ? Believe it or not I live on long Island about 15 minutes outside of the second largest city in the country and there is not a decent gun shop anywhere within 100 miles of here , seriously.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wild One,

I would say that Nescopek, PA is within that 100 mile radius. Head west on I80 until you see the smokestack of the Berwick nuclear power plant. Not far from there. Home of one of the all-time great gunmaking families: Robert W. Hart & Sons. Cousins to the barrel making family of Harts from Lafayette NY. Give 'em a call...570-752-3655, ask for Bobby. Or go to www.rwhart.com

They specialize in Remingtons. Their Hart Custom Lightweight Hunter might be to your liking.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention them ... I am a dealer for wise potato chips and they are in Berwick . Ive done that trip a few times . Just for knowledge 192 miles one way door to door. But thanks for the tip.