New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mannlicher Stock Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a short (21") .257 Roberts barrel for a large ring Mauser. I am thinking about putting it on an M48 receiver and buying a semi-inletted Mannlicher stock for it.

What general pitfalls should I watch out for?
    What barrel length would you recommend? I can make it anything from 21" to 18"
    What forend tip do you like?
    How far should the barrel protrude from the end of the forend tip?
    What relatively inexpensive iron sights should I look at? The rifle will be scoped, but I don't like the looks of a full length stock on a bare barrel.

Thanks in advance.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 329 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clemson,
I would make the barrel under 20" and most likely at 19. I would also look at the contour of the barrel you have. If it is too thick, either turn it down or get a different one and start over with a thin barrel. Most full stocked rifles do not shoot tiny groups but you can do a few things to help it along. Use a milling machine or a drill press with some guides and makes a series of cuts with a ball end mill in the bottom of the barrel channel, leaving about 3/16" of wood at the bottom. It will weaken any influence the stock may have on the barrel.

Normally a metal end cap is used on a full stock. It is metal and holds the barrel to the stock. They do not have to be as elaborate as the following one but you will get the idea.

There is very little protrusion of the barrel beyond the cap.

Check Brownells for a front and rear sight. I agree that they look better with them. I would suggest a detachable scope mounting system of some kind or another. Leupold's will work on a budget.

Mybe Forrest can post his and you can see what the ultimate one (in my mind) looks like.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
This is ForrestB's 7x57. I keep dreaming each night that my mannlicher will grow up to look like this one.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of my Siamese Mauser 30/40 with Mannlicher stock. Barrel is 18".

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

Do you have thoughts on what an appropriate muzzle diameter for a 20" .257 cal. barrel would be? I was actually considering a barrel about 0.60" for my own 257 Roberts Mannlicher project. Sounds like that may be a little heavier than what you're recommending.

cheers,

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Clemson-

I'm with Customstox on the short barrel length.

In terms of the tip, I have the Jon Speed Mauser Sporters book, and it turns out that some of the early full stocked Mausers had a small ebony tip, with just the implication of a schnabel.

These looked very good to me.

Were I you, I'd avoid a barrel band front sight. Someone here posted one recently--on a full stocked rifle--and the treatment did nothing for the barrel band sight or the rifle.

Just a regular ramp, I'd say.

Good luck with your project. It sounds like fun.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
This is ForrestB's 7x57. I keep dreaming each night that my mannlicher will grow up to look like this one.

Yeah....that´s the real McCoy....to bad it has a John Q Citizen safety(hahaha)...
Beautiful classic lines with a prober drop on the stock.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stu,
I am reverse engineering the rifle I am going to build. If you can believe this, I am starting with the end cap and making the gun because of it. I got it from Maurice Ottmar and it is just begging to become a rifle. The little peak at the bottom is a dead nuts match for the pointed skelton grip caps so that is the basic theme for the gun and the diameter is .600".

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Stu,
I am reverse engineering the rifle I am going to build. If you can believe this, I am starting with the end cap and making the gun because of it. I got it from Maurice Ottmar and it is just begging to become a rifle. The little peak at the bottom is a dead nuts match for the pointed skelton grip caps so that is the basic theme for the gun and the diameter is .600".

Sounds super nice. Have you decided on what action to use?

- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very clean 1910 Mexican small ring that I will likely use on this rifle. The caliber is still a bit up in the air, but likely a 7x57 or a .257 Roberts.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic,
Where did you get that metal end cap from? and can you get different styles? have many customers looking for them.

Thanks,
Tim

Posts: 62 | Location: Wirt, MN | Registered: 21 October 2006Reply With Quote