Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin guide gun "Help"
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
Got one in stainless steel. Would like to get it bead blasted to dull the finish. Also would like to get it ported like the first ones,they came out with (why did they stop doing that??). Any suggestions on who to send it to, to get this work done?? Thanks in advance MADDOG.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brockmans does a lot of work on these guns.

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/glossary.asp

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You probably do not want it ported after all. It does not need it.

Posts: 81 | Location: Finland | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a good thing not to see the factory porting on the guide gun, as it did not do anything for me on my guide gun. If you want to reduce felt recoil, have a good rubber pad installed. Either Kickeez or Pachmayr Decelerator should work wonder. If it is still not enough, then send it to Mag-na-port International to have a removable mag-na-brake installed. Below is a couple of other sources for your lever action rifle work. Good luck.

http://www.leveractions.com/

http://www.cosbycustomguns.com/

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't want the ports, ruins the gun for cast bullets except with gas checks, and just makes it louder.

Posts: 1523 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maddog, I'll second the votes for no porting! I wanted one of these guns a while back, but ended up getting a regular M1895 in .45-70 with a cut down barrel - to AVOID the ports. Ports just make the whole thing noisier.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
A co-worker had bragged about his GG for some time, I doubted his claims of 1" groups and didn't want the blast from a ported barrel after owning an AR15 with a muzzle brake. Early this year I found a deal on a nonported GG and bought it.

We finally got together to shoot our rifles and found that we couldn't tell a difference in recoil or muzzle blast between the two when fired side by side. His rifle has a scope mounted conventionally and mine has a Scout Scope which places more weight further out, that may make a difference.

Maybe we were just shell shocked by the end of the shooting session, but I'd buy which ever rifle I found and be happy with it.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
btt

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote