New
Find
Notify
Tools

700 replacement trigger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a older model 700 mountain rifle that i use occasionally. Just shot a small buck on Wednesday with this backup . Given all the hoopla about Rem. triggers and the fact that this one is not great, I'd like to replace it. My primary has a Jewell, but i don't need to go that light. Looking for the best trigeer that will break cleanly every time at two pounds, with no creep. What say you?

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
In my experience with 2 M700s Shilens are very nice but often require stronger firing pin springs for some reason.

I prefer Timney, and if I was made out of gold I'd have 2 stage triggers by Huber on everything. Bix and Andy also make a really nice 700 trigger.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timney's have worked well for me, have them on several 700's. All of them hunting or varmint rifles. Most set between 2 & 3 lbs.

Regards,
Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jewells don't "have" to be adjusted that light.....

Posts: 41903 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If somebody thinks Remmingtons triggers are dangerous .
Jewells safty is even worse. On all Jewell triggers you can easilly put the safety in midposition, pull the trigger without fiering, and then when you pushes the safety forward KABOOM;;;;

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington will replace your 700 trigger for free with one of their new X triggers under the lawsuit settlement just announced. The settlement must be approved first, then the details of how the replacements are to be done determined. Could be a while before the replacement is available.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went with Shilen on mine. Timneys are okay, I just like Shilen better.

dave

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several Jewells, but prefer the Shilen on my hunting rifle.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
If somebody thinks Remmingtons triggers are dangerous .
Jewells safty is even worse. On all Jewell triggers you can easilly put the safety in midposition, pull the trigger without fiering, and then when you pushes the safety forward KABOOM;;;;

???????? I have never had or ever heard of there being any problem with Jewell triggers!

Posts: 41903 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have and have had a lot of Jewells and never experienced that problem.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As i stated Jewell makes a super trigger, with a POS safety.
On all of the triggers i have tested, i could on everyone, easily put the safety halfvays, pull the trigger, and afterwards fire the rifle just by pushing the safety forward.
In my oppinion, it is a disaster waiting, if there is no distinct ON or OF position on a safety, with no chance of putting the safety in a position where you can prepare the shot.

Of cause you should always point in a safe direction, but "Shitt happens" and you might have richocettes or just plain human errors. Thats why it is the Mfg. job to design a firearms, so nothing unintended can happen.
A trigger should never let go unintended, and a safety should be reliable. Everything else is only bad excuses

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
As i stated Jewell makes a super trigger, with a POS safety.
On all of the triggers i have tested, i could on everyone, easily put the safety halfvays, pull the trigger, and afterwards fire the rifle just by pushing the safety forward.
In my oppinion, it is a disaster waiting, if there is no distinct ON or OF position on a safety, with no chance of putting the safety in a position where you can prepare the shot.

Of cause you should always point in a safe direction, but "Shitt happens" and you might have richocettes or just plain human errors. Thats why it is the Mfg. job to design a firearms, so nothing unintended can happen.
A trigger should never let go unintended, and a safety should be reliable. Everything else is only bad excuses

OK, knowing that all Jewells are like that, what did they tell you when you complained about it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Remington will replace your 700 trigger for free with one of their new X triggers under the lawsuit settlement just announced. The settlement must be approved first, then the details of how the replacements are to be done determined. Could be a while before the replacement is available.

I bought a Timney trigger group from E-Bay for Lower $100.00s, around $125.00 I think, and am pleased. It was a user replacement drop in, no gunsmithing required. Only needed a small punch and plastic hammer. Mine is set for 20 oz pull (not for hunting), if used for hunting I bump it up to 4 lbs.

When I called Remington, they had a 6 month backlog, meaning send in my rifle and 5-6 months, maybe, I'd get it back.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything mechanical can & will fail sooner or later w/o preventive maintenance....Period.

IF,you rely on a mechanic detail to make your firearm safe....Shame on You!

Hell,some people can screw up an anvil with a feather duster!

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 426 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
...,some people can screw up an anvil with a feather duster!
Stealing this... I laughed so much I was late for work! rotflmo

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

Man I grew up hearing that comment from my grandfather.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anything mechanical can & will fail sooner or later w/o preventive maintenance....Period.

IF,you rely on a mechanic detail to make your firearm safe....Shame on You! I would gladly rely 100 times more on a decent mecanic details, than on human behavior.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

IF,you rely on a mechanic detail to make your firearm safe....Shame on You!

Were you referring to the trigger recall? My Model 700 had less than 30 rounds through it when I found out about the recall. Mine didn't have time to get dirty. It was a safety, (no pun intended) issue with the manufacturer.

By the way, my factory trigger worked OK, it just wouldn't set at less than 54+- oz pull. Probably a legal issue with Remington.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like Shilen triggers, have several and have never had any problems...easy to adjust, too.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2834 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can "trick" the Jewell by pulling the trigger with the safety vertical, between on and off. Not an issue for me, since I can't image why I would want to do this shenanigan.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote