New
Find
Notify
Tools

870 Wingmaster VR barrel...crooked?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The rib doesn't line up with the groove in the top of my rcvr. Do you think I have an OOT rcvr or a barrel problem. I suspect the barrel hanger isn't right.

Posts: 325 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bent or misaligned magazine tube can also cause this condition. I have also seen this on Win m1200, in this case the ring on the barrel was several degrees off. Bill

Posts: 111 | Location: Downs, Kansas | Registered: 16 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hardin284:
The rib doesn't line up with the groove in the top of my rcvr. Do you think I have an OOT rcvr or a barrel problem. I suspect the barrel hanger isn't right.

There is a small cut out in the hood of the barrel where the ejector fits. This acts to keep the barrel aligned with the receiver. If the forward piece of the ejector is broken and missing, the barrel will sit off center. Open the bolt and look at the joint.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a remington 11-87 that was the same way, the rib didn't line up with the groove in the top of the receiver. I sent it back to remington and they returned it without the barrel, saying that it needed a new barrel but they were backordered at the time. Eight months later I finally got the new barrel and when I put it together it was exactly as before, rib not lined up with the groove. I figured that it must have been the receiver machined crooked. Before I could raise hell with remington again the shotgun got stolen in a break in. I replaced it with a Beretta.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You can loosen the mag cap & rotate the barrel a bit left & right. Try that & see if you can line the barrel up that way.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote