New
Find
Notify
Tools

Full Auto Conversion
 Login/Join

<specoperformance>
posted
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a High Point 9mm semi-auto carbine into full auto?

<Eric>
posted
Uh, friend? What you are asking here will net you a $10,000 fine and 10 years in a federal prison if you attempt the conversion and are caught.

It's not worth the chance man.

Any thing can be done on any firearm, I once saw a 1911 in a British police museum, converted to full auto by an IRA armorer. He's in prison yet I think.

Just friendly advice.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
So before you turn yourself into a felon just go and buy a hellfire or other rapidfire trigger assembly and burn up a couple of boxes of ammo, then the novelty will pass. Otherwise go somewhere where you can rent a full auto for a while. They are fun toys to play with for a little bit but when the rush is over all you have is something that burns up ammo at a breakneck rate that you can't hit at any distance over 100 feet.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
SPECOPERFORMANCE,
Please follow the advice you've been given. Even under the very best conditions, in jail is not where you want to be. I've been in several jails, even with the keys in my hand, I didn't stay any longer than necessary. To top it off, every jail I've ever been in stunk to high heaven, and the neighbors were STRANGE!!!! [Eek!] [Eek!]

<KBGuns>
posted
Besides, what's the point? The Hi-Piont only has a 10 round mag. Thats alot of reloading...

For many reasons, dont bother.

[ 10-04-2002, 09:08: Message edited by: KBGuns ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume you knew you would land in jail without registering your weapon with ATF and meeting all the requirements.

Besides, the only weapons that work well in full auto are ones that are designed to be full auto. Otherwise, you're asking a Chevette to run like a Corvette.

All in all, I have never thought anyone would come out money ahead by creating their own legal class III firearm. You're better off buying something like an Ingram, etc. from a class III dealer.

[ 10-04-2002, 13:09: Message edited by: Big_R ]

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
Good advice is being given here. A conversion to full auto is a federal crime, do you really want to go to a federal prison? Besides, unless the gun was originally designed to be full auto, it won't last long.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by specoperformance:
Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a High Point 9mm semi-auto carbine into full auto?

it's 10 years in jail, with a weapons charge... you wouldnt even be able to own a 22 after, and you have to report yourself as a felon on all your job applications.

Is it worth the risk? Nope... but, if you are dieing to shoot an auto 9mm, goto portland, ore,,, find on the the community college shooting ranges, rent it, take the class, and for about $100 you can shoot all the full auto 9 you want.

this is idea, not you, is, as Jr. Brown says "stupid, stupid stupid, it's stupid all the time"
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Oh hey that reminds me when I took a community policing class they had a full auto mp5 they let all the class participants shoot during the trip to the range, you might want to call your local police department and ask if they offer a community policing class, which is a good thing to do even if they don't let you fire a full-auto.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New poster, full auto questions?

Me smells a rat...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, now....there ARE legal ways of building a full auto Hi-Point carbine.

First you apply for and receive your type 07 FFL, Manufacturer of Firearms ($150). Next you pay $500 and become a Class 2 Special Occupation Taxpayer.

Viola! You can now build all the sample machine guns your little heart desires!

Have fun!

Sam B.
http://www.fireflyarms.com

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
<specoperformance>
posted
I was just curious if it was possible.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Mark White -
quote:
Oh hey that reminds me when I took a community policing class they had a full auto mp5 they let all the class participants shoot during the trip to the range, you might want to call your local police department and ask if they offer a community policing class, which is a good thing to do even if they don't let you fire a full-auto.
Now, if they'd just issue MP5's to the community policers, I'd imagine the crime rates would decline significantly. [Smile]

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Aside from the legal implications, what the hell would you want with a highpoint firearm of anykind [Confused] That's the biggest piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune of looking at. Sam B is right about what it would take to produce one, but why start with the biggest turd in the industry? Find a quality firearm first, then examine the logistics and fees for owning one. It becomes much less appealing after the beancounting is done. [Wink]

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Specoperformance,

Don't get bothered too much with the opinions, some of the boys here are very opinionated with regards to taste and esthetic appeal. Be a duck, let it run off...

If you are serious, you'll have to follow SamB's advice thanks to the KommieRats in '86.

It will be expensive and if you let your license lapse you have to give it up or transfer it to another Class III dealer, not like the old days when you could keep it.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez, all I had to do to fire full auto was join the military.

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In response to what I take as an academic question, yes, it is possible to convert any semi-automatic to fully automatic. With the Hi-Point, you'd get about two magazines through it before it cratered, so your chances of getting caught are theoretically less with it than with some other types of guns.

Our concepts of what should constitute an illegal firearm are molded by context in which the particular gun is placed. Since the movies portrayed automatic weapons as almost exclusively associated with gangsters, the National Firearms Act of 1937 made full autos illegal (or at least restricted). The same with "silencers" (actually suppressors or moderators), which are, paradoxically, widely accepted for sporting use in Great Brittan. On the other hand, the Brits are pretty generous about allowing shotgun ownership, but almost totally outlaw pistols. This has always seemed strange to me, since having a great deal of experience with both, were I criminally inclined, I'm quite certain I could be a great deal more destructive of life and property with a shotgun than a pistol.

Similarly, California prohibited certain rifles based primarily on their appearance because a miscreant used an AK variant in a tragic schoolyard attack. But as the perpetrator(s) in Maryland amply illustrated yesterday, a varmint rifle can be far more effective in laying waste to human life than the "assult rifles" banned by CA.

My point is that it is the use (or misuse) of the weapon, not the configuration of the weapon, which is of utmost concern.

Please don't misconstrue my comments to be sympathetic to breaking the law by creating a "bailing wire" machine gun. If you want to shoot one, there are many legally owned and available for recreational shooting. Look up someone who is such a legal owner, or go to one of the shooting events where full autos are available to participants.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote