New
Find
Notify
Tools

where's my serial #'s?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have 2 bolt action .410's.One is a Stevens model 59A,the other is a Mossberg 183KC.I have taken the stock's off both guns looking for the serial #'s,but I can't find them on either gun.There are no file marks or other indicators of tampering to take off the serial numbers.Did the manufacterers hide them or,what?My insurance agent needs these numbers for coverage.Any hints will truly be appreciated.Both guns were my dads and he bought them used over 35 years ago and he doesn't have the #s either. Thanks.

Posts: 147 | Location: Green Co.,Wis | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect those guns are over 50 years old.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And guns made that long ago didn't have serial numbers?Is that what you are saying?

Posts: 147 | Location: Green Co.,Wis | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guns made prior to 1968 were not required to have serial numbers. You will mostly find shotguns and .22 rifles weren't serial numbered, but I have run across a pistol or two and a few rifles that weren't either.

Posts: 1669 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!I didn't know that.I thought all fire arms ever made had serial#s.Always learn something knew on this site,humbling as it may be.Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a FN action custom that does not have a serial number on it. I also have a savage M24 that is unserialed.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Many cheap guns made before the Gun Control Act of 1968 never had a serial number.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
Many cheap guns made before the Gun Control Act of 1968 never had a serial number.

And some not so cheap too. I have a J.C. Higgins 50 from what is apparently the first run of rifles made for Sears that has no number. It's now a 7x57. I also have a Husqvarna 640 FN style Mauser action that is destined to be a .35 Whelen that is not numbered. Neither is what I would have called being in the cheap range. At not at what I was earning way back then.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sbhva
posted Hide Post
Husqvarna rifles prior to 1968 or so had the serial numbers on the barrel.

Steve

Posts: 120 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sbhva:
Husqvarna rifles prior to 1968 or so had the serial numbers on the barrel.

As did many of the smaller makers of remanufactured 98's and all Mosins except the Finn's that I know of. Older Stevens & Winchester shotguns with no serials are common too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, I believe you are permitted to "make up" a Serial number. Your SSI number is an option, although maybe not the best in this day of ID theft. Birthday in numerals... ATF will advise. Most gunsmiths should also know... luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I had my numberless J.C. Higgins M50 rebarreled to 7x57, I asked my gunsmith about this. He said that as long as it didn't come with a number, you didn't have to have one made up for the gun unless you wanted one.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you will check the K98 that just sold for 20K on gunbroker you will notice it has serial numbers on the bolt and barrel but not the receiver.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote