THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed from Browning Semi-Auto 22 Experts.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Every time my wife sees one of those little Browning Take Down 22 rifles she has to stop and pick it up. So I was thinking about getting her one for a surprise.

However she is only 5'4" and the factory length of pull is just a touch long. So I have a couple of questions.

Can the stock be shortened if I shorten the magazine tube as well?

Does the 22 short version have the same length of pull as the 22LR?

Can the 22 short version be rechambered to 22 LR?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good questions. I own both a Browning and a Remington 24 built on the same patent, and it never occured to me the challenges involved in shortening the stock.

I would think that, provided you don't mind spending the money, a good gunsmith-machinist could reduce both the magazine outside tube-stock screw and the magazine follower by an inch or whatever to accomodate the stock reduction. Of course, you'll also need to resize the buttplate or fashion a new one to fit the smaller dimensions of the cut stock as it tapers toward the receiver.

Don't suppose your wife is only 13 years old and still growing? bewildered

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yikes.
Since I had never looked that close I just figured I could cut the stock off. Refit and grind down the butt plate and only have the magazine tube to cut down. Sounds like more than I want to Jack with. Next time we are around one I will check closer and see if it will work as is. The light barrel weight helps.

She is a touch over 13 and hasn't grown an inch in about 30 years. LOL

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if I remember correctly, the outside tube of the magazine housing also serves as the stock mounting bolt. That's what make cutting the stock down so involved. However, a good smith might simply cut a section out of the middle and reweld it maybe? You might find one of the Chinese clones (actually pretty nice guns) to experiment with.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I might see if I can pick up a rough Norinco and try. Looking at the disassembly instructions there is a separate bolt to hole the stock on. So the magazine is an inner tube and the removable one.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod, to answer your questions:

Yes, if you are determined.

Yes.

No. The internals of the Short version and LR version are of different dimensions...the machine work might be possible, the expense would be very large...very very large. Then you'd still need to find some additional proper parts.

My suggestion would be to find out if your wife can find any synergy with a 94/22 which is by all accounts a very nice little shooter. Another possibility would be one of the old Remmy 550 series, which shoot S,L,LR or the later Remmy auto variants which would allow you to shorten the stock.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Dan,
Thanks for the info. It isn't that she wants an auto it is she likes that auto. LOL
She has a little CZ that fits her fine. I also have a custom 10-22 that I built for my son and had to add a recoil pad to make long enough for me that I could remove the pad and it would be just right for her.

She just likes the looks and feel of the little Browning. But.... the stock is just to long.

I was hoping that maybe the 22 short was built smaller all around kind of like the old Gallery rifles.

I think at least for the time being I will move the idea way back on the back burner.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has your wife ever tried one of those #(%*^&# things, or is she into gratutious pain?
They have a nasty tendency to deposit smoking hot hulls on your wrist. I still carry scars from shooting one of those things some 38 years ago.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
Has your wife ever tried one of those #(%*^&# things, or is she into gratutious pain?
They have a nasty tendency to deposit smoking hot hulls on your wrist. I still carry scars from shooting one of those things some 38 years ago.

Gee, I had one and never suffered any from shooting the little thing-as a matter of fact, I liked it.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That sounds familiar...uh, did somebody like, you know, strap you down and heat 'em up with a blow torch? Confused

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote