New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Mauser Bolt Release
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm considering buying a Browning (or FN or H&R, etc) Mauser bolt action. The most recent thing I ran across that I don't understand is the bolt release on this Browning Safai bolt action. It deosn't look Mauser-standard to me, but I'm new at this.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to this configuration, and more importantly, can it be fixed or replaced if broken?

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That is a late Browning version of the Mauser bolt stop/release. I think that its open design allows for dust & any forgien matter to get into the mechanism. I can see no advantage to it except from a manufacturing standpoint. It had to be cheaper to make than the standard Mauser release or else Browning wouldn't have gone to the trouble of redesigning it. I think that you're going to have to live with it. This feature would not stop me from buying the rifle if the price was right though.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had one years ago. Never had a problem. I don't know if it was cheaper or Browning's attempt to make it look a little more streamlined or just maybe less military.

While I prefer the 98 style release if the price was right I would not let the release stop me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
If anyone knows where I can get my hands on one of those releases let me know. A buddy picked up a Heters 300 WM a couple years ago for next to nothing that uses this type of release, but it was missing it. I could really use a source for one to help him get it up and running.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, fix/replacement of the bolt release is my concern, too. My gunsmith says he doesn't know of any...

Jaywalker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, you might check with gumpartscorp.com If anyone had them, they would.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Western Gun Parts in Canada had a supply of Browning Parts.
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the looks of these releases, but they are very user friendly in my opinion.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Midwest Gunworks is a Browning gun parts outfit. They don't list any rifle parts from that era but they may have sources.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Manhasset is correct.

Western Gun parts bought all those FN 98 parts when Browning dumped them as surplus a few years ago.

We try to keep track of the parts wholesalers who buy the close out parts from the big company's.

Jim Wisner
Wisner's Inc.
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

What's a good condition Browning Safari bolt 30-06 worth?

Jaywalker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the Brownel Gunsmiths version of the bolt release they make for the Ruger and M98 might work or be adapted??? At least it would not have the "open spaces" for dirt, etc...just a thought for those who will certainly know more than I...Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote