THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 pos PT&G Mauser Safety - Anyone use one?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All,

Just noticed that PT&G is offering a 3 position safety for the Model 98, and wondering if anyone has seen or used one and has any comments?

http://shop.pacifictoolandgaug...=49&products_id=1030

I am in the market for one to put on my commercial FN, and was going to go with a Wisner unit, which are well accepted, but this PT&G unit definitely piqued my interest. My understanding is that PT&G offers top-drawer products, so thinking this may be a viable option.

Any constuctive thoughts and opinions would be apprecated.

TIA,

Bob

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I just had one installed on a 700.

Machining and finish look nice.

My only complaint so far is the use of some roll-pins to hold in the lever, etc...

That makes take down and reassembly more difficult IMO.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interresting, look at the directions you can download from the site. then look at dakota's. Pictures at exactly the same.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
Seems just like the Dakoda's instructions.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
I just had one installed on a 700.

Machining and finish look nice.

My only complaint so far is the use of some roll-pins to hold in the lever, etc...

That makes take down and reassembly more difficult IMO.

Dakota uses roll pins too.

It's an exact duplicate of the drawing Dakota sends with theirs

I can tell you this They take about twenty minutes to install. Best thing ever.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What caught my eye was the pictures. Gentry has different pics in their instructions. Who makes them for dakota? 20 minutes? Maybe some bolts, took me over that just to fit the threads to my 1909. Rest of the install is fast though.
Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the commens.

Hard to say for sure, but I don't think the shape of the PTG is quite the same as Dakota, maybe they just "borrowed" their directions, dunno....

The roll pin is not a plus for me, I don't believe Dakota's use a roll pin either, FWIW.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they do use roll pins, I got one from brownells less than a month ago. Satterlee, and Lapour use a solid pin, Gentry uses a set screw, and I don't know what ERA uses. I've used the other three haven't had a chance to use an ERA.
Don

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I can also confirm Dakota uses a roll pin. I just installed two. One on a Mini mauser action and one on my 98'. My 98 took all of twenty minutes. Grind two angles, mill a slot in the rear of the bolt, the math is done for you.
Now the mini was another story. I had to cut the threads back a touch then make a sleeve and silver braze it to the shroud. Then grind way back on the cocking piece and set the safety cam. What a PITA But Now i know what's involved and can do it anytime. It took near a full day to complete

As for the roll pin Dakota does it to allow for minor variation in the safety lever. It allows a consistent feel from part to part. Using a dowel pin would work but it changes the feel of the lever because it's binding on the solid pin. I lost a roll pin so this is how I know. I tried to replace the pin in mine with a dowel pin and it just about jammed the lever up solid. So a pack of 100 roll pins was ordered and problem solved.
I really done see a huge issue with the roll pin. although a set screw would have been better

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The PGT-safety looks great, I decided to order one to put on a 416 Rigby I´m building right now. Got on to the web page and started going thru the steps for getting a safety to Sweden where I live. I was a happy gunsmith all the way to the shipping cost info.......

The shipping cost was higher than the price on the safety....

Looks like there will not be a PGT safety on my Rigby after all Frowner

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KC and Don,

Thanks for confirming the roll-pin use on the Dakotas.

Yeah, probably doesn't really make a difference, but the roll-pin just seem a bit "cheap" to me.

Looking at the Midway site, it does appear that the ERA uses a set screw.

Don - of the ones that you have actually used/installed, which do you prefer from an overall value view point.

Thanks!

Bob

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
While we are on this topic. Ive heard some complaints on the Gentry or maybe that is the lever itself that is installed on the original bolt shroud.
What's the take on the gentry version???

I will say that I'll never cut a bolt shroud again except for the occasional odd ball action. When you add up time and materials, fixturing. It's a slam dunk to buy a shroud with a three position already installed.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read multiple reports of QC issues with the Gentry safety. I believe the issues were associated with the timing of the threads in the shroud itself, not the lever.

I was told by one reputable gunmaker that the LaPour/Wisner unit was the only one he would use.

That is what made me wonder about the PTG as a potential "new" option.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well as far as I can tell the Dakota and PT&G are the same unit.
So I would not hesitate to use either one. But I do get a discount with Brownell's so I'd take what they sell as long as it's a quality product

www.KLStottlemyer.com