New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cost and difficulty of conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I REALLY want a set of M70's in 300 and 375 H&H. I happen to have a pair of Classics that I bought specifically for builds, but both are .473 bolts. I know many will say "sell them and buy something else" but really I have not seen great deals like I got on these 2 guns.

So what kind of cost would we be talking about, in addition to putting a barrel on, to open up the botl face/extractor? Having a little trouble finding the followers but I may have tracked down a couple, and getting the correct bolt stop is easy. Will there be that much feed rail work needed to make a large difference in over all costs? (rifles are 25-06 and 270)

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Have you checked Midwest gun works for followers and other small parts? I got one there for a 375 that would not retain nor eject properly, fitted it and solved the issues. It was an older style (before the cut out version), and was like 20$.

Something in the back of my mind says the feeding is mainly dictated by the mag boxes on M70s and rails partially. But someone who really knows will chime in here.

I won't be one to say sell them, just do what you want. Good luck!

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
It's not expensive to open up the faces. I've had 2 pre war Mod 70s bolt faces opened up and the rails untouched. With the appropriate follower, 7 mm Rem and 300 Win feed fine. Now I did have an issue with the 7 mm Rem with the std follower, which was solved when replaced.

I did have the front bottom of the action opened up a few years later not the rails just the front "bumper" which holds the magazine box in place to be able to use the larger length H&H magazine box as I use monometal bullets. With a Classic I believe the box-action fitting itself is not a problem.

Now I am not a gunsmith, but intuitively, given the shape of the H&H cartridges, I would think that'd be all you need to do as well with the appropriate follower.

PS I'd contact Jim Kobe- he does great work with fair prices and an unbelievable turnaround time

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea Midwest is where I looked. Seems real hit and miss as to a part being in stock. I REALLY hate you have to click"add to cart " to see if it's in stock or not.

I didn't think it would be TOO difficult, seeing how tapered both h&h rounds are.

I bought a couple of the old NH Custom Shop stocks, I was originally planning on a 9.3 rebore and 400 Whelen....but I might use my two 98s for the 9.3 instead. I've already got a spare 375 bbl, a little heavier than I would like but not Winchester factory heavy

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
PM me if you are serious. If not fine too. Fortunately Model 70s are all the same length. 375 length.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Not difficult, nor overly expensive.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
bolts interchange from rifle to rifle... find a couple magnum boltface bolts and swap them out.... buy a couple of take-off barrels and see if they fit...cost??...you'll wash on the bolts, less shipping... barrels??... maybe $150 plus whatever somebody charges to remove/install/check headspace....you may need an different ejector, they are ususally length specific as far as bolt travel... as far as feeding, the modern (post 64) model 70s use a different magazine box and follower from caliber to caliber... some interchange,,, 243-308... 270-30,06... the .375 length are different,,but you get the general idea...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd, pm sent!