New
Find
Notify
Tools

Castrol moly dee
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ever since the weenies took the good stuff off the market (111 trichloroethane) I have used Tap Magic as a tapping fluid.
I'm tapping a 20mm x 2.5mm hole in 1018 cold roll, about 20 pcs. It is an old wore out tap that I didn't want to replace because I'm not getting that much for the job. I'm using my Carlton Radial and was getting down about three threads before the tap started spining in the chuck.
A saleman had dropped off a sample of Castrol Moly Dee for me to try about 6 months ago. The tap is now blowing thru 2" of material.
It takes a lot to impress me. I'm impressed.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you castor oiled moly dee shocker - i bet she wasn't to happy about that Eeker(hey its friday and been a long week)

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff but I can never get the smell off my hands.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found that Castrol Moly Dee is about the only lube worth a flip when trying to run taps through stainless by hand.

Posts: 124 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep a bottle of it around myself, and realy like it. The other that I use more often, is much cheaper, and nearly as good is Re-Li-On.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lucked out yesterday.
I had a MSC flyer that had Moly Dee on sale. Normal price is $168.21 a gallon. Sale price was $99.99 a gallon. Bought 5 gallons. Ought to last a while. Big Grin

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote