THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Assembly of AYA Matador II, saftey goes where?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi everybody.
I've got an AYA Matador II 20 ga double shotgun that I'm working on. It started doubleing and found it's way to me for repair. I have the bottom plate off the action, pulled the sear and stoned to a nice square edge. I think I have it fixed but need to put it back together to go shoot it.

There is a floppy piece attached to the trigger group that is supposed to go onto the saftey slider. Is there a trick to getting everything back together?
I'm almost thinking that I will need to take the butt stock off to be able to see in the side while putting the bottom plate on. It looks like I'll have to take off the recoil pad to get to a stock through bolt to remove the butt stock. I'd rather not mess with old brittle rubber if I don't have to.

Anyone have any experience with these?
TIA

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lar,
Your present situation is why I always have my digital camera on the bench so I know what it looked like before I took it apart.
Mike

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trick, I believe, is to either have the safety pushed as far forward or as far back as you can when you offer the "bottom plate" to the stock.

I forget which.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
tks got it back together.
There is a small gap in front of the trigger that a paperclip can go into. The paperclip can hold the saftey toggle piece to the rear while the bottom plate is being put in place. The saftey being forward helped also.

With the butt stock off it's much easier to do.

I don't know how it happened, but the left sear was too low and close to the trigger. With the saftey on, pulling the trigger would raise the sear almost enough to fire.
I bent it up till it was inline with the right one and the trigger wouldn't touch it with the saftey on.
Now just to test fire and send it back.
The customer wanted me to change it to only fire the left barrel first, but with the sear misalignment fixed I think I'd rather leave that part alone. I'll let him try it this way and see if he really wants it changed.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote