New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rail mount scope to EAW bases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to attach my Swarovski rail mount scope to the EAW bases on my 500 Jeffery (Mauser action).

This requires the connecting piece that joins the rail of the scope to the bases on the receiver (one for the front base and one for the rear).

A set of these connecting pieces for conventional bases is about $75 from Swarovski (e.g. Weaver base, Ruger base, European bases, etc).

Unfortunately, the only EAW connecting pieces that I was able to find (via Google) were made in France, for what appeared to be $600 USD.

I've seen pictures of custom rifles with this set up (rail mount scope, EAW bases), but I'm not having much luck finding the connecting pieces.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
You didn't say which type of EAW mount you have. Here are 3 kinds, all EAW, though all different :

EAW fixed mount

EAW swing-out

EAW claw mount.

The latter is the most expensive by far as it requires soldering, hence rebluing of the bbls. It is however the very best and has no competition in terms of reliability and return to zero.

Whatever the type you're looking after, I would advise looking over the EAW website.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Garett, EAW mounts are some of the most versatile (in terms of what optics can be mounted on what guns) European mounts. Surely EAW will have "connectors" for Swaro SR scopes for their bases. They may not be cheap, but they will be available.

If it was me, I'd get in touch with EAW's US importer - NECG, I believe...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies....these are the EAW swing out mounts.

I will check NECG today to see it they are available.

Thanks,
Garrett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're looking at the "new rail" on Swarovski's...some college engineer boy wonder put the access slot for the clamp at the rear.

There's almost no way you could lock up for anything approaching reasonable eye relief..

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Duane,
I don't see you point ? Here's a Swarovski + new rail I installed on my R93 in 9,3x62 and I have whatever eye relief I want.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have still to take possession of my Swaro rail (SR) scopes, but the Zeiss internal rail (VM) scopes also have the clamp access point at the rear, and I have quite a few of those. Like Andre, I have never had problems with obtaining a suitable scope position.

US stocks traditionally have been shorter than European stocks, but even so we may be talking .5" or so. I doubt that would make much of a difference in terms of mounting an SR scope properly.

Perhaps Duane has a point in terms of guns using a receiver based mount - as opposed to the barrel based R93 mount. The rear mount *might* get close to the rail access point. Worth measuring, just to be sure.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to let you all know, NECG emailed me in response to my inquiry.

The connecting pieces are $275.

Kind of pricey, but that's how EAW is in general.

Garrett

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. Garrett:
Just to let you all know, NECG emailed me in response to my inquiry.

The connecting pieces are $275.

Kind of pricey, but that's how EAW is in general.

Garrett

Cool!

Welcome to European gun (and parts) prices... EAW rings and bases for a pivot mount would probably set you back about $500 over here...

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
Duane,
I don't see you point ? Here's a Swarovski + new rail I installed on my R93 in 9,3x62 and I have whatever eye relief I want.

Yep...stand corrected, never saw a critter like that before! My experience has been with the two piece for claw mounts 98's, M-70, GMA, etc.

On those applications, the rear lock up has to be quite close to the front of the ocular....there's where the access hole is...

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote