Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith/Metalsmith Recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Colleagues-

I have a Montana Model 1999 Action that I want to have stoned and polished inside and out for use on a custom rifle.

I am looking for someone in the Jack Belk price range as opposed to the Stephen Heilmann price range. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I suggest Mark Penrod. Mark does true best-quality metalwork, and his prices are reasonable.

Penrod Precision
P.O. Box 307, 312 N. College
North Manchester, IN 46962
(260) 982-8385
(FAX) 982-1819

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Getting at least two quotes is always a very good idea. Then you know where you are and will not be as disapointed.

Take the action to a local smith and get some estimates. You must have other work as well like a barrel etc. Then you can still send it to a Penrod later.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen and Savage-

Thank you for your responses.

Allen, Mark Penrod is one of the "household" names and I had him on a short list if you could call it that. Dennis Olsen comes to mind as does Gary Stiles. I was hoping to come up with a few extra names to pick from.

Savage, I couldn't agree more, I am thinking of maybe three quotes; no more than that though.

Having a little difficulty coming up with some local/Texas names that do that kind of stuff. Sometimes it's more difficult finding folks in your own back yard.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Why not Tom Burgess? I'm amazed by his work

Best is Tom scope rings for Brno rifles

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of SKelly
posted Hide Post
If you are willing to send your action to Montana, then I would definitely recommend Dennis Olson. Dennis' work has always exceeded my expectations and his prices and turn around time are quite literally the best in the business.

Posts: 31 | Location: Plains,MT | Registered: 16 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I'll second Allen's recomendation of Mark Penrod. His turn-around time is good, too.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll third Mr Penrod. Mr Day recommended him to me for my first custom M70, and after speaking with him, I immediately sent him my action. I can't wait to get it back, and, unlike many other's that I spoke to turn around time is awesome!

Huntr

Posts: 88 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I suggest Mark Penrod. Mark does true best-quality metalwork, and his prices are reasonable.

Penrod Precision
P.O. Box 307, 312 N. College
North Manchester, IN 46962
(260) 982-8385
(FAX) 982-1819

AD

I second this suggestion. Mark built my 375HH before my last trip to Zim (see the hippo over there <-------, shot with that rifle). Mark is currently building a 338 Win Mag for me. His work is outstanding, and he's an honest guy to do business with - I highly recommend him. Jeff < !--color-->

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote