THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Had a case failure test firing an Ishapore .308 - ouch!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had a case failure test firing an Ishapore .308 - ouch!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tula steel .308. Split in the extractor groove of all places. Must have been a mfg defect. Had my ring finger a little too close to receiver ring. Took a flame jet right in the middle of the finger pad. Penetrated the skin and bruised badly. Powder burns and unburnt powder under the skin. Glad I had safety glasses on!

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not good. Sounds painful.
I still shoot the Russian steel stuff, but not in Enfields.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Ouch!
That kind of thing will ruin a fella's day!
Glad nothing worse happened, Bob.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
A couple months ago I finally swore off steel case rifle ammo.
Sorry to hear you had a mis hap, after grousing about the imported steel case stuff for a couple years I decided I'm done. Quality control was very poor, fires dirty, lots of duds or wouldn't chamber, mashed primers etc.
When the last few hundred rounds are gone soon I won't buy anymore.
I've not had too many issues with domestic steel cased pistol ammo (9mm, 45ACP) an occasional dud but nothing more. I may continue to shoot that and the Federal Aluminum cased stuff.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobster, I had a sporterized Ishapore some years ago and wanted it scoped but couldn't justify the expense of having the receiver drilled and tapped so I sold it and bought a different 308Win. Kind of wish I had kept the Ishapore. I never shot any ammo in it except my handloads and they were quite accurate. I've never shot steel case ammo so I don't know about them, but I hope it didn't harm your rifle and also glad you weren't hurt any worse than you were. Your injury reminds me of when I bought my first handgun, a model 586 no dash S&W 6", I hadn't shot any revolvers before and like a dumba$$ I put my off hand around the cylinder to help steady it and when that gun went off I thought I lost my whole hand! I didn't shoot any more that range session but certainly came away more educated. LOL

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had so many problems with steel case ammo in M-16s and AR-15 we would not allow it in our academy rifle courses.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote