New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock broken, again
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am back with the old CZ .458wm/Lott convert.
When I had the conversion done the gunsmith, Ferrell of GA. Found a crack in the stock. Fixed it and glass bedded the rifle.

While working up some loads I noticed that the stock has split again, worse than before and about 1/4 inch to the side of the original crack.

I am tired of playing around, what do I need to do to get this thing bullet proof?
Do I need a stock made of different wood, do I need a synthetic stock? What

I am more worried about function rather than looks. I also want the gun to weigh the same or maybe a tad heavier.

My concussion has almost healed up and I want to get back to shooting....

Posts: 333 | Location: Columbus GA | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Go to the big bores forum, and do a search on elk camp master and bedding.. you'll run oer a fine series of photos and explaination on this.

I've got a "spare" hogback, available cheap

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Laminated wood will be stronger. A good quality (McMillan) sythetic stock would also be stronger. If you want to stay with traditional wood, a dense piece of English, or, even better, Bastogne walnut would stand up to recoil better than the factory stock. A good glass bedding and crossbolts would be a good idea too...

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you post pictures of the cracked area of the stock. It would also be beneficial to see the bedding and to know what was used. You also should know that you have tighten down the action screws good and tight. Bedding a 458 Lott is much less forgiving than bedding a varmit rig or 338 Ultra mag, most gunsmiths aren't capable, IMHO. They seem to simply not understand the violent nature of the recoil being managed by the bedding.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry no pictures.
Flip the gun upside down, the crack runs from the screw in front of the magazine plate all the way to the bottom foreend lug.

Posts: 333 | Location: Columbus GA | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote