New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 710,715,770, and 783 firing pin issue
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
FYI, if you have one of these and it starts to snap and misfire stop and proceed as follows: Remove bolt and field strip. Easiest way is to lock the cocking piece in a vise and pull the bolt body while rotating counter-clockwise. The assembly will the pop out of the bolt body. On these models the firing pin tip is a separate part that screws into the firing pin body. 99 times out of 100 the tip has unscrewed and is now loose. This reduces the jump and prevents proper ignition. If you catch it early you can apply blue thread locker and re-tighten. If you wait too late the threads will be buggered from hammering and a new FP assembly will be required.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

First I have heard of that problem Bobster. But I'm willing to bet it's going to be a first of many! I'll know exactly what to look for now, thanks.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the 783 has any similar or interchangeable parts as the others mentioned. The 783 is a Marlin XS-7 ,XL-7 with a few less machine operations .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee
Nupe, the Remington 783 has a screw in firing pin nose Gary. I've seen them before! It just never occurred to me that they would start unscrewing. But, where you find chicken shit, you can count on things going to clucking hell sooner or later.

ADD NOTE: Just to be sure, because I have been wrong a lot lately - - - - - - - I give you exhibit (A)

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1505280

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been playing with these actions and prefer them to savages and even the 700 .
I'm glad to have learned something today !
Now , why didn't I remember this when I had at least 7 of these actions apart ? Dang I hate this getting old stuff , but it sure beats the alternative.
Thanks .
I'm sorry for posting something wrong , I hate the fact I did .
Gary

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Proves that every innovation to the basic 98 is a step backward

Posts: 3633 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ain't that the truth. In this day and age of cost reduction, Remington elects to machine seperate firing pin bodies and FP tips and threads each vs machining one FP.

quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Proves that every innovation to the basic 98 is a step backward

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

With today's CNCs, with bar feeders and hydraulic follow rests the single piece firing pin is probably a lot cheaper to produce. But the tip is always the part that goes and not the main body so having a tip that is simple and easy to replace does make a lot more sense. Besides, multi piece firing pins are not a new thing, even in high powered rifles and they can be very reliable. You would think however, that they would make a modern one, RELIABLE and thread and pin or use a nylon top, lock-nut of some sort, instead of just a thread and a spot of Loctite to retain it. Any time you hammer on a threaded shaft, it is eventually going to impact the shoulders or thread flanks until it comes loose.

But of course we have a new breed of engineers today and they eat Tide Pods and snort rubbers for entertainment. And we thought the ones we had in our generation were dumb!

Rod Henrickson