New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chipped Shotgun Stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a JP Sauer SXS Shotgun I can buy with a stock problem that needs fixing. The stock chipped out around the top of the receiver on either side of tang. Roughly the top 1/4" of wood is missing from the receiver back perhaps an inch or so. Obviously the stock was never properly bedded or perhaps it loosened from the receiver and nobody tightened the stock bolt and the chipping was caused by recoil.

Who could do a good job of fixing this and about what would it run to have the chips replaced, checkering freshened up and refinished. The wood will not be too hard to match as the grain is nondescript (european walnut) pretty typical to a decent Sauer shotgun. The rest of the gun is really in nice shape.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If it's anything like the Sauer drillings, and I suspect that it is, there's very little wood on either side supporting the frame, taking the recoil. Granted, I'm only guessing as I haven't seen the gun, but I would recommend against attempting a repair and would encourage you to restock the gun instead. The ones I've seen usually have seriously deteriorated oil-soaked wood which is difficult to repair successfully.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote