THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photo's of Maurice Ottmar's Triggergaurd.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted
Here's a photo of Maurice's triggergaurd.

I engraved his .280 BRNO and he built me a pre-war M70 in 280.

-

I'll throw in another floorplate photo. The sheep are gold inlays.

-

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Really a work of fine art. Just great

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Is that his triggerguard after you laid your hands on it? Or did he do that engraving too?

That is exquisite.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
My mom is a pencil artist. She can do things with a pencil and piece of paper (mainly animal drawings) that leave me speachless. There is some huge national artist's organization/magazine that has an annual competition. She placed 3rd in the entire nation this year. Her entry was done on a last minute whim.

I've only had one other artist do leave me without words. Scrollcutter, you are the artist.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scrollcutter,

That sort of skill and ability is amazing. I can never get over the fact that the images are created in METAL!!! It is beyond me......

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
It needs a frame and good lighting. [Big Grin]
Truly a work of art.
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Scrollcutter

Fantastic to say the least.

If you happend to have any more of these BRNO florplates, I can offer my BRNO rifles as stepfamily for them [Big Grin] [Razz]

I will give them a good home [Eek!] [Smile] [Wink]

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments:

Bartsche, Thanks.

Nitroman, I did the engraving he built the rifles.

Longbob, Maybe your mom and I should collaborate on some project in the future.

DavidC, covey16, and JOHAN, thanks for the kind words.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger could you please post a photo of that Wolf butt plate? I remember seeing the first rifle I believe at Maurices place. The other is new to me and stunning.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Here you go, Chic. Thanks for asking. BTW where are we with the auction rifle?

-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, Jim Dubell sent it on Saturday to Mark. Mark will put bases on it and send it to you. Imagine he could send you the bottom metal so you can get started on it if you have any free time, which I imagine isnt likely.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Chic, could you post some photos of the finished stock of the Ottmar auction rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger, I sure can. For those of you who haven't seen them, here are some photos of the rifle that a number of us are working on. Our work is on a volunteer basis. The proceeds of the auction sale is going to Maurice Ottmar's widow. I completed the stockwork, including shaping the stock. Gary Goudy did the checkering, Jim Dubell installed a 3 position safety that Jim Wisner donated and installed a Meier release lever on the floorplate and he will rust blue it on completion. Mark Stratton is building custom bases for the Talley rings donated by Talley and Leupold donated the scope. Ted Blackburn donated one of his triggers. Roger is doing the engraving.

-

-

-

-

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chic,

The work is superlative, as usual.

No need to rush the metal work. I just wait and get it all in at the same time. I sort of like to have all of the pieces together so I don't paint myself into a corner, if you know what I mean.

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Roger and Chic,
Amazing work.
When I was about 15, maybe younger, I think I saw that engraving of that wolf in an old gun digest.
[Confused]
Is that it?

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scrollcutter,

Please post details of the auction/raffle over here or send me the details in a PM. If it is a raffle,I would like to buy a ticket.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of your work - you, sir, are a great artist!

[ 12-08-2003, 13:48: Message edited by: mehulkamdar ]

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Roger, Chic,
gentlemen, you skills are amazing. I barely have enough skill to actually undersatnd how wonderful your work turns out, much less how the $%#^ to do it.

thanks guys

jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic craftsmanship. The Ottmar rifle is going to be something really special.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Awesome work guys! Impressive work!

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
A work of Art!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 142 | Location: NY | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Incredible.....as always. Both pieces are absolutely stunning. [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HOLLY SHEEP DIP!

WOW!

WOW!

WOW!

WOW!

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The concept, layout and execution of the engraving is of the highest quality. Truly lovely! When I went the lotto, you will be getting a call from me.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hi Scrollcutter

Wow... <wipes drool off keyboard>

What would be the cost for engraving a triggerguard like that?

I have never had any engraving done (I just assumed that the price was very high). Now, however, I find myself in a position where I can consider such things... and I have no idea at all at the price!

I really would like to get an idea of the costs, and I've never seen engraving that I liked more than this! And trust me, I've drooled over quite a few engravings! [Smile]

jpb

[ 12-08-2003, 20:27: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
JPB

The triggergaurd unit with the gold sheep and the the wolf would cost $2500 with the gold border and including the scroll work, or $2000 without the gold border.

The floorplate with the 3 gold sheep in the game scene would be $3500, including gold border and scroll work.

I sort of hate to give price quotes like these because the gold animals, gold borders and the game scenes are the most time consuming and thus, the most expensive part of my work.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Roger- Will you be at Dallas Safari or Vegas Gun Collector shows in January? How's your backlog look on a small project (mostly lettering, some border work)?

[ 12-08-2003, 22:54: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
fla3006

I won't be attending the gunshows.

I have a pretty steady backlog of engraving, but I slide lettering jobs and such in between the project guns. I do quite a few lettering jobs every year for various gunmakers and private individuals, so it's no big deal to get them in and out pretty quickly. Usually within a couple of weeks.