Find
Notify
Tools

Safeties
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted
Is a bolt safety that much better than a triger safety; or is this a Controled Feed vs Push Feed agruement?

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
Is a bolt safety that much better than a triger safety; or is this a Controled Feed vs Push Feed agruement?

A bolt safety is much safer.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really, the best saftey is between your ears.But I think that the bolt is better. Big Grin

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
A bolt safety will lock the bolt and not allow the firing pin to fall. A trigger safety simply blocks the trigger from allowing sear to release the bolt. For my two cents the bolt safety is safer than a trigger safety. Can they both be effective Yep. I happen to own more trigger than bolt.

All that being said the best safety is no round in the chamber which is the one I use the most. Very seldom big game hunting to you not have time to chamber a round when you see game.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Uhhh - I think this distinction is not accurate.

For example, the old style Remington safety blocked the trigger and locked the bolt down, whereas the "new and improved" Remington "safety" just blocks the trigger. IMO, the Remington "safety" is no more or less "safe" either way.

The Winchester (style) three position safety locks the bolt down, and the other difference is that it blocks the firing pin/cocking piece from falling, and practically ignores the trigger.

I think the CZ 550, for example, is a so-called trigger safety, that also locks the bolt down, by means of a lip off the safety mechanism that engages a slot in the bolt, while also blocking the sear. There is also a three-position factory version of this safety.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
For example, the old style Remington safety blocked the trigger and locked the bolt down, whereas the "new and improved" Remington "safety" just blocks the trigger. IMO, the Remington "safety" is no more or less "safe" either way.

Poor discription on my part. A bolt safety will mechanically prevent the firing pin from falling that is what I meant by locking the bolt not allowing the pin to fall. A trigger safety will simply by some means try to keep the sear from releasing.

I agree the old 700 just like the early MKX triggers would lock the bolt down when put on safe. (I know for a fact if you get in a hurry you can force a MKX bolt to pen and bend the tab over.) It simply wouldn't allow you to open the bolt while on safe did nothing as to keeping the firing pin from falling. Dumb move in my mind that meant you have to take the rifle off safe to open the bolt. Later models of both now allow the bolt to be opened while on safe.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
If they are truly safer, suppose it is cost that keeps more manufactures from using bolt safeties

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

is locking the sear not a effective as locking the firing pin, in practical terms?

Can anyone suggest a scenario in which a trigger (sear) safety would fail, but a firing pin safety would not?

Cheers

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can anyone suggest a scenario in which a trigger (sear) safety would fail, but a firing pin safety would not?

try "custom adjustment" by the owner.

Sear ware kinda comes to mind as well.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Earl:
quote:

try "custom adjustment" by the owner.

Good point, but this is more an issue of misuse, not really a design flaw.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Earl:
Sear ware kinda comes to mind as well.

Not convinced.

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote