THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What do you do to smooth up the 2 position safety mod to the M98 shroud?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you do to smooth up the 2 position safety mod to the M98 shroud?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have done the Chapman and Wisner 2 position safety, but the cut into the shroud looks a little sharp.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all my mausers have the wisner safeties. i didn't cut the shrouds,but i fully understand the process. in a conversation with my gunsmith a long time ago, we came to the conclusion that given that the timing is correct for the bolt lock notch a good fit between safety thickness and slot is the key to a smooth operating saftey. when the wing comes in contact with the cocking piece, if it can be cocked out of alignment with the bolt's centerline the least little bit from a sloppy slot( the least little bit too wide) in the shroud the contact areas between safety and shroud that support the wing's alignment with the centerline of the bolt become so small that they bind from firing pin spring preasure and the safety works "notchy". the wing should fit in it's slot with no percievable play at all so that it is fully supported to rotate parrallel to the bolt's centerline.don't rely on the safety's pivot pin to for alingment, it's just there for the safety wing to rotate on. mic the width of the cutter and have it dressed to cut exactly the same width slot as the wing's thickness, then stone the wing and edges of the slot until the wing just slips in with no play.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To add to that, the Chapman's aren't worth the effort to install. The Wisner lever is so much better, better geometry and finish, that it is a no brainer if the slot it cut right. I might add that the second cut, the one for the bottom of the lever, should be done with little clearance to just clear the flat on the firing pin and the shroud so the lever will not be canted. Also, the cut on the cocking piece should be smooth, I grind mine on the surface grinder.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the $20 Chapman can be as good as the $30 Wisner with a few hours a machining, fitting, and bluing.

I bought a safety in shroud from Jim Kobe.
With that in hand and the Chapman fixture and this web site:
http://www.gswagner.com/swede/pmssafety/compare.htm

http://www.gswagner.com/swede/...afety/pmssafety.html

What I would like to know is how to make the semi circle sharp edge over the Wisner safety not be sharp. Weld? grind? What?

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I have a question for you all. What is the prevailing opinion comparing the Wisner/Chapman safety as opposed to a Model 70 -Gentry/Dakota three position safety shroud for Mausers? I like the look of the M98 shroud, but I also like the feel of the Model 70 conversion.

What are the pro's and con's of the two? Particularly if it were to go on a dangerous game rifle?

Thanks!

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
I have a question for you all. What is the prevailing opinion comparing the Wisner/Chapman safety as opposed to a Model 70 -Gentry/Dakota three position safety shroud for Mausers? I like the look of the M98 shroud, but I also like the feel of the Model 70 conversion.

What are the pro's and con's of the two? Particularly if it were to go on a dangerous game rifle?

Thanks!

I think the 2 pos go to the fire position "better" than the 3 position m70 type safeties. I personally believe that this makes them better for a DGR. If you want the Mauser look in 3 position Stuart Saterly(sp) manufactures one. It is the best looking Mauser 3 position safety. Stuart posts here as "tinman."

If you do a search I asked the same question several months ago and got some good advice.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Thank you kindly, Mr. Jason! I'll do the search.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Satterlee arms

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote