New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 Adl vs Bdl?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have the oppurtunity to buy a cheap 700 Adl in 308 Win.Am going to rebarrel and restock it in 358 Win.Apart from less choice of stocks and having to cycle the bolt to remove loaded rounds are there any major disadvantages to the Adl?Any advantages?regards Toby

Posts: 58 | Location: Oslo,Norway | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Nope, you about covered what disadvantages there are. Make sure your trigger is set to allow the bolt to function when it is on safe. That's a big one with ADL's

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Make sure your trigger is set to allow the bolt to function when it is on safe. That's a big one with ADL's

I did that on my BDL as well since I often didn't drop the floorplate to to unload.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey TR, I also prefer the ADL because of the great advantage of the Blind Magazine. Nothing to pop open unintentionally or intentionally to drop the Cartridges. Most of mine have the Swinging Floorplate, but I'd rather they did not.

I've never had to do a Full Bolt Cycle to get the rounds in the magazine out of an ADL. Just start the Bolt forward and when the Cartridge pops loose from the Feed Rail, draw the bolt back, tilt the muzzle up and roll the rifle toward the Ejection Port(to the Right on Right handed rifles) and you can catch the Cartridge in your hand.

Depending on the rifle, the ADLs used to come with Iron Sights too. But you can't count on that anymore unless you see them on the specific rifle.

Both ADL and BDL normally do fine though. Just get the Trigger adjusted, clean the barrel before you ever fire it, mount a good scope and you should be good to go.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think most bolt action rifle jams/malfunctions are cleared most easily and quickly with the floorplate open.

That being said, I have made 2 Rem's with blind magazines and put Gentry 3 position safeties on them. That way you can both lock the bolt and cycle the action with the striker blocked. These were SS rifles, but if you have blued parts, then NECG also imports a CM 3 position safety for a Remington.

Just another option for you to consider. WIth M70 or Remington safeties, you should enjoy the .358! thumb

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote