New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loose rear sight on Springfield 1903A3
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a sporterized 1903A3 Springfield that has a loose rear sight. The sight holds in place when handling the gun but tends to come loose when the action is cycled hard. I am worried that it will slip when I take it out into �the field.� The sight is a standard military rear peep sight and the entire sight moves on the dovetail that is part of the receiver. I was wondering if a little lock-tight or perhaps some clear fingernail polish applied inside of the dovetail would help any? I guess drilling and tapping a hole in the sight and then putting in a screw would make the sight secure but I was hoping for a fix I could do myself. Thanks in advance.

Ben

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Ben---

The arsenal drifted the sight off the receiver and upset one edge of the dovetail with a punch and hammer.

When doing this it's important to bend the edge down, towards the receiver, not up.

It takes a stout lick to do any good. You only have to bend it by .005 or so.

Degrease and epoxy to be sure. [Smile]

<Stub>
posted
I had the same problem on the 03A3 I just received from CMP. What I did was rocked the sight toward the front, made a shim out of a piece of 45/70 brass, and drove it tight in the gap, and filed off the excess. So far so good and you can't see it unless you know it's there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up using some 90-minute epoxy to set the sight in place. The rifle is sporterized so I am not too worried about collector value. I also think the epoxy job looks pretty good. I haven't taken it shooting since then so I don't know if it will hold, but I am guessing it will be fine. I had thought of a shim but only had aluminum foil handy. When I tried that it only made the problem worse! Next time I need a shim I will find an old piece of brass (much better idea).

Ben

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote