Find
Notify
Tools

Sako trigger on Mauser 98
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I have a couple of Sako triggers from back in the 60's. I remember some FN Mauser supremes came with these triggers installed. I saw one once and they were the same triggers that I have. They seem to fit all right but will not function. Anyone know what mods were needed to make them work properly?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had FN's with Sako #4 triggers in them. I think you had to use a commercial cocking piece. I know a guy with a few spare commercial cocking pieces.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Try a cocking piece that is smooth along the bottom. Never used a Sako but have had other triggers that didn't like the notch of the military piece.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 300 H&H you helped me glass bed has Sako trigger on FN action. Want to take a look to see how its fitted? Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
They do use a flat bottom cocking piece unlike the Military style with the "V".

Tom Burgess once told me he simply drilled & tapped a hole in teh notch then simply screwed in a screw.

Considering how hard the CP is I've never tried that but have instead welded the "V" up and rehardened the CP when I couldn't find a commercial CP.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies! Airgun1 has solved the problem. When He said his had #4 Sako triggers on them, I looked at mine and they have a #2 on them. The sear does not extend above flush thru the sear hole in the tang which prevents any engagement with the cocking piece. Thought I was going to get out cheap. Bob, I knew I had seen one recently, I was beginning to think old age/senility was setting in! Airgun1, I would be interested in buying a commercial cocking piece if your friend is interested in selling any, let me know. Thanks again to all!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lee440,

I've got two mausers with the the Sako triggers, a Mex 1936 with the side safety and a Peruvian '35 w/o safety. Both have the V-military CP and work fine. Don't know of any special mods but you can see a little burr where the trigger sear hits the CP.
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
lee440: To my knowledge, the only difference in the #2 and #4 Sako triggers was that the #2 was lacking the trigger safety. My assumption was that the #2 was made expressly for Mausers with striker safeties.

Have you compared the dimensions of the #2 and #4?

It is possible that you have one of the older triggers which has a screw on top of its frame (sits atop the trigger frame and bears against the action frame). This screw allows the adjustment of the sear engagement (by trial and error since you can't access it once the trigger is in place.) If the screw were all the way "out" then it might prevent the trigger sear from being high enough to engage the firing pin sear.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the two commercial cocking pieces in hand. One has a beveled front and the other is square. $25 shipped for one; $40 shipped for the pair. No returns. I am the middle man here.

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK here are pics. $25 each shipped or $40 for both. No Returns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll take the one with the square front if thats what you call the sear face.
Bob