THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Re: Stockmaker Question, why are grip caps so small

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Stockmaker Question, why are grip caps so small
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Billy,
No, you are all alone.

I do believe that Dressels large one is pretty good sized and is very appropriate for a big grip on a DG rifle, if you want, and most people do, a lot of beef in the wrist. And if you just have big hands. Steve Heilmans trap grip cap is a bit larger also.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Originally posted by Gringo Cazador.....

I have a large Jerry Fisher two screw grip cap laying next to my keyboard. I think it measures about 1.28 X 1.75 or so. I kinda like a big grip, I have to take a lot of wood off to get this to fit on one of the stocks I'm working on. I think a Dressels is a little larger, but not enough to make that much difference.

Billy....

The size and shape of the grip cap has evolved with the art of the custom stock. I find little quarrel with the following text from Jack O'Connor's "The Rifle Book"...

"The tendency is to make pistol grips too large. The average hand is best fitted with a pistol grip of about 4.75 inches in circumference and almost round but slightly oval in cross-section."

I think there may be a subtle move to making current custom stocks even more slender than that. O'Connor's text was first written in 1949....subsequently again in 1964. I don't know if the quoted text refers to the former or latter era.

But in shape, current custom stockmakers will mostly carry the shape of the grip cap up into the cross-section of the grip. The lines described by the exterior shape of the grip cap blend perfectly into the grip. I actually prefer a diameter less than 4.75"......my favorite 7x57 having a diameter of just under 4.5".

A minor change in this diameter will result in a major difference in the "feel" of the rifle. And of course, as Chic eludes to....there is a strength consideration in heavy kickers.

If grip cap dimensions are carried into the pistol grip cross-section, some nominal diameter grips will result in the following examples:

Fisher 1.75 X 1.28 = 4.75" diameter grip

NECG 1.82 X 1.356 = 4.98" diameter grip

Dressel 1.85 X 1.43 = 5.14" diameter grip

A 5" grip feels huge to me.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic, thanks for the comments.

And don't be hangin out and drinkin beer with Bill Soverns, he is a bad influence

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Im the bad influence????

Chic is the one that always fills my head with ideas and ways to make my life a living hell. LOL

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy,
That is our goal in life, to bring others along on the road to ruin.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Billy,
That is our goal in life, to bring others along on the road to ruin.

God knows that's true<lol>

I thought grip caps were so small because stockmakers use tape measures that show double the actual length. That's what Chic carries in his tacklebox at least.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote