THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Is Win. M-70 CRF Mag. action long enough for 300H&H?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Win. M-70 CRF Mag. action long enough for 300H&H?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As my title suggest; Is the Win. M-70 CRF, 1990's vintage Magnum action (ie. 7mm Mag., 300WM) long enough for a 300 H&H cartridge? And also what about the magazine well? Is it feasable/possible to modify?

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Yes - and quite easily as they were chambered in the 375 H&H

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once asked my local gunsmith the same question and he told me this is what he did:

1. Remove the spacer block from the rear of the mag box.
2. Alter the bolt stop
3. Removes a small amount out of the rear of the action so a loaded round can be extracted easily and drills and taps another scope base mounting hole.

Some people claim step 3 is not needed but I am just reporting what my smith would do. Your smith may do it differently.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've converted several to 7STW. As others have stated I have done it both ways. Using the existing parts and removing the spacer and shortening the bolt stop and ejector. I have also simply bought the proper long action parts from Winchester. If they are available I would go that way. If not it is simple enough to alter the originals.

While the factory H&H has a slightly longer port I din't alter mine and had no issues. They will ejected a loaded round perfectly. Loading seems to work best with a slight forward move then back and down. Sure not an issue to me.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
3. Removes a small amount out of the rear of the action so a loaded round can be extracted easily and drills and taps another scope base mounting hole.

Some people claim step 3 is not needed but I am just reporting what my smith would do. Your smith may do it differently.

Step 3 of course is to change the rear receiver ring to be the same as a 375 M70. It is the CRF actions that will most likely have a problem if not done. The reason being the CRF does not eject until the bolt is fully rearward and that means bolt face/case is well inside the long receiver ring. PF on the other hand is ejecting when the case neck clears the action and that why Rem 700s don't do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info gentelmen.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote