New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Mauser ready for test fire!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finished my first gun-plumbing project. Well, it's done mechanically, any way. A poor job in many ways, but I learned a lot.

It could use more polishing (probably a lot more polishing), and the metal needs to be duracoated. And the rough stock inletting might benefit from some cosmetic buildup with bedding compound. But it's ready to test fire. Sure hope it doesn't come apart!

I'm really proud of this ugly thing. But not so proud I'd post pictures.

I really hope it stays together. Thanks for everybody's help on this over the last several months.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve

NO DEAL. The rules state that anybody who comes on AR and says they have built a custom rifle has to show a photo or two of it. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Steve seeing as how you're handicapped being a yankee & all we will cut you some slack. Kinda like a handicap in golf. Wink

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

I'll try to post some pictures once the cosmetic work's done.

If it's still ugly, maybe I'll use pictures of somebody else's gun.

Of course, this all assumes I figure out how to post pictures.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fired the first four shots with a lanyard, as suggested in the Kuhnhausen book. No explosions! I meant to mount the scope, but the Leupold rings I brought HAD NO HOLES in the front lower half-ring.

I fired it a couple more times, but I'll have to make the 1.5hr trek to the range again to see how it groups.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
Fired the first four shots with a lanyard, as suggested in the Kuhnhausen book. No explosions! I meant to mount the scope, but the Leupold rings I brought HAD NO HOLES in the front lower half-ring.

I fired it a couple more times, but I'll have to make the 1.5hr trek to the range again to see how it groups.

Steve

Did you get those rings from Natchez Shooters Supply?
I had to send a pair of Leupold rings back for the very same reason.
I guess QC has gone to hell with them, too.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rojelio,

I think I got them at Bass Pro. You should have seen me staring at the bottom half of the ring, waiting for holes to magically appear!

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I thought Yankees had laser vision and you could just bore those holes through sheer will. I guess
not everything I have heard about Yankees is true.

A Georgia man living in the mountains of Oregon. No humidity, few snakes, no chiggers, no no-see-ums,
no sand nats, and did I mention the lack of humidity. Gators on TV only. And we buy our booze from the store. Sorry Uncle John.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Uh, Doug and Old Elk Hunter,

What's up with all this Yankee stuff?

Maryland's actually south of the Mason-Dixon, and if you were abducted, blindfolded, and released, I'm pretty sure you'd think you had ended up further south...particularly if you were outside the beltway and not in Annapolis. Even in the heart of Baltimore. "Heeeey, Huuunnn, you want some mo' aaaahced tea?"

But I'm also a Navy Brat/ former Marine transplant. I was born in Long Beach Naval Hospital, then spent multiple 2-3 year stints in Norfolk, Nokesville (VA), and San Diego, with one 2 year tour in Hawaii.

But actually that boring holes with pure will thing does usually work for me.

Steve