New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tig Welder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Due to my vision I can no longer tig weld.
I an looking for recommendations for a tig welder to weld on Mauser, etc. bolt handles.
I am also looking for a micro welder for small parts.
I need someone with reasonable prices and turn around time but most of all I need a quality weld.
All recommendations welcome. If you don't want to post you can PM me.

Thanks,
James Bennett
Bennett's Gun Works

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he will take on the work, Peter Nagel is your man:
http://restorativewelding.com/Background.html

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson, plains, Mt.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will not find a better or more knowledgable TIG welder than Peter Nagel. A great guy and a superb welder.

Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, Thank you for your reply's.

I had contacted Peter some time back and he was not interested in welding on bolt handles. As for the smaller parts he might do them now.

I have not contacted Dennis Olson, but I will.

James

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://accu-tig.com/

He does bolt handles.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobster, Thanks but Dan no longer works on Mauser bolts, only Remington.

James

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Have you tried a welding helmet with magnifying inserts?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ted,
The problem with my eyes has been going on for the last several years. When I start to weld my eyes will not focus and I get double vision.

Yes, I initially thought the problem was my helmet. I tried magnifying inserts. I then went to a high end helmet. I have set the shade to max, the sensitivity to max and the delay to minimum. Nothing that I have tried has worked to any degree.
My optometrist cant find anything but severe dryness. I have another appointment in mid March for more testing.

Thanks
James

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Bennett:
Hi Ted,
The problem with my eyes has been going on for the last several years. When I start to weld my eyes will not focus and I get double vision.

Yes, I initially thought the problem was my helmet. I tried magnifying inserts. I then went to a high end helmet. I have set the shade to max, the sensitivity to max and the delay to minimum. Nothing that I have tried has worked to any degree.
My optometrist cant find anything but severe dryness. I have another appointment in mid March for more testing.

Thanks
James

I wear 2.5 readers and I use a 2x insert in my helmet
My darkness is set to 8 for most of my welding and I use a very bright LED light over my welding bench....as we age our eyes require more light.
I once could TiG anything with my God given eyes....now I need a lot of magnification. I use a 25/40x auto dark microscope for my very small work these days.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I to use 2.5 readers and a 2.5 in my helmet. I have a led over my bench and a overhead dental light that I focus on the weld area.
I have cataracts on both eyes but they won't remove them at this time.

James

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
I to use 2.5 readers and a 2.5 in my helmet. I have a led over my bench and a overhead dental light that I focus on the weld area.
I have cataracts on both eyes but they won't remove them at this time.

James

Why can't you get your eye's fixed?

I had lenses put in both of my eyes two years ago at 49 years old

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted,
Several reasons.
One, the 2 optometrist that I have seen will not OK it. They can not figure out what is causing my problem as I describe. They have me on medication orally, eye drops and an eye lid wash.

Other reasons are age, heart disease, diabetes, along with a host of other medical problems.

James

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ted,
Several reasons.
One, the 2 optometrist that I have seen will not OK it. They can not figure out what is causing my problem as I describe. They have me on medication orally, eye drops and an eye lid wash.

Other reasons are age, heart disease, diabetes, along with a host of other medical problems.

James

10-4