New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechamber 375 H&H to 375 RUM?
 Login/Join

<ol crip>
posted
Can a 375 H&H be safely rechambered to 375 RUM?

I compared the REM. H&H BBL. to a REM. 300 RUM. I measured 3" down from the shoulder on the shank on both and the 300RUM is .030 bigger at the same juncture on the BBL. This I assume would be a high pressure area and am concerned about the smaller diameter on the 375 H&H BBL.. The H&H BBL is 26" and has a muzzle brake built in as part of the BBL. It sure would be nice to add 2 more BBLs. to my 7 STW.
What do you guys think, should I go for it? That would give me a hot 7, a hot 30 CAL. and a potent 375. But would it be too thin at that piont? [Confused]

[ 01-25-2003, 23:37: Message edited by: ol crip ]

<JOHAN>
posted
ol crip

What action are you useing for this project

I would much rather go for a 375-404 if the action had a bolface large enough to handle the 404 casehead

/ JOHAN

[ 01-26-2003, 00:16: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

<ol crip>
posted
Johan, I'm using a Remington 700 Magnum action for switch barrels. The Barrels I have are new take offs for rem. All I will have to do is index the sites on one and the Rem stamping on both. Then set the head space. It will save me a bunch work and I'm sure these two bbls (300 rum and 375 rechambered rum) will shoot minute of elk and moose. They will be strickly working guns. Do I need to worry about the 375 H&H being smaller than the 300 RUM in the throat area? [Confused]

<ol crip>
posted
Can anybody answer my question about the 375H&H to 375RUM? Please.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel thickness is not an issue. Your current .375 H & H barrel is plenty thick to accomodate the RUM version. I can appreciate that the regular .375 H & H makes a rather disappointing level of muzzle blast out of that brake, so can understand why you'd want to ratchet it up a notch with the RUM. Animals just can't be killed sufficiently dead unless the gun makes enough noise.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote