Find
Notify
Tools

Hey, CustomStock!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Chic,

Have you ever used Sutherland/Wells polymerized Tung Oil sealer and Marine Spar Varnish? Their literature (for whatever its worth) states that there are no oils other than tung oil used in the products.

I recently finished a wooden stocked M1A with it and it looks really nice, very warm and nice dull satin look...but since I’ve never used it before was wondering how well it holds up.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Rick i was looking at the same stuff ( different manufacture maybe ) J.E. Mosers polymerized tung oil sealer & polymerized tung oil varnish in a in a WOODWOOKERS SUPPLY catalogue. I too am interseter in Chics response.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Rick i was looking at the same stuff ( different manufacture maybe ) J.E. Mosers polymerized tung oil sealer & polymerized tung oil varnish in a in a WOODWOOKERS SUPPLY catalogue. I too am interseter in Chics response.

I’ve used several brands of Tung oil based products over the years but this is the first time I have use the Sutherland Wells brand. They sell it in Garret Wade woodworkers catalogs and supposedly it is one of the few brands that doesn’t use other types of oil mixed in with the Tung Oil.

I used a 75/25 mixture of the Spar Varnish and the Sealer as the wetting agent on the sand paper for the final finish and it seemed to mud-up better and smooth out faster than others I have used. It imparts a really nice, warm tint to the finish and if it holds up as well as the other products I have used I am sold on it.

The info on the sealer states that it is also really good as a carrying agent to mix with oil based stains for really deep penetration into the wood. I don’t stain my wood stocks, but if a guy wanted to this might be a good choice.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick,
I have not used it. I am pretty happy with what I have been using but the varnish mixture is interesting.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Rick,
I have not used it. I am pretty happy with what I have been using but the varnish mixture is interesting.

Thanks, Chic,

I’ll send you a sample of the spar varnish and the sealer if you want to try it out on a piece of wood.

Is there an address on your web site?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use it . It sounds good. Ive used Deft tung danish ,McCloskys tung oil,Dalys tung danish . And Mccluskys spar varnish as first coats and to fill the grain. McCluskey spar varnish has tung oil in it.

I thought I should have just used the McClukys spar varnish for the intire job on the stock im working on now , instead of useing Dalys for the finish coats.

If it works good and is easy to work with use it. Play around with different finishes . You can always wet sand it back to the wood if it doesnt look good.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick,
I would appreciate a sample, thank you. The address is 3020 Conarty Road. Malaga WA 98828

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Rick,
I would appreciate a sample, thank you. The address is 3020 Conarty Road. Malaga WA 98828

Chic,

On the way tomorrow...and I’ll include the info on the other Sutherland Wells products from the Garrett Wade Catalog for ya.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever used TEAK oil for stock finish work? Seems to be a very good finish.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive heard other people that use Teak oil. I have seen it in the stores and Teak is advertized as a marine/outdoor finish which seems would be better.
Id would try it.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used a product made by Gillespie called "Low Gloss Tung Oil". It's not "pure" tung oil, it has polymers added to it to promote drying and durabilty. It has given me excellent results. I'm not sure, but I don't think "pure" tung oil is well suited as a stock finish. I could be wrong about that, someone else here would know, I'm sure.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I've used a product made by Gillespie called "Low Gloss Tung Oil". It's not "pure" tung oil, it has polymers added to it to promote drying and durabilty. It has given me excellent results. I'm not sure, but I don't think "pure" tung oil is well suited as a stock finish. I could be wrong about that, someone else here would know, I'm sure.

Craigster,

I did two stocks with just pure Tung Oil (the 100% stuff Brownells sells) and it worked fine. Didn’t use a sealer or anything else on the wood. The only thing I noticed was that it took allot longer, and allot more work, to sand out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rick,
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that pure tung had the same qualities as boiled linseed, which leaves a lot to be desired.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rick,
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that pure tung had the same qualities as boiled linseed, which leaves a lot to be desired.

Craigster,
The first story I remember hearing about Tung oil years ago involved the Marines marveling at wooden stocked Japanese rifles that were found in the jungle with the metal about gone from rust but the wood still incredibly well preserved.

The Japanese used a Tung Oil Varnish on their wooden stocks because of its ability to deeply penetrate the wood and to provide almost 100% protection from mosture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rick,

Craigster,

I was told by a guy in the paint business that one of the main reasons that linseed oil is used in almost all exterior paints is because of its ability to let moisture pass through it. This keeps the paint from developing bubbles due to moisture in the wood trying to escape.

Tung oil, on the other hand, will let very little moisture pass through and that it why it is much better suited to gun stocks that will be used in the field.

Tung oil also dries much, much quicker than linseed oil does.

You are probably correct in your statement that Tung Oil, or any other pure oil for that matter (by itself) is not the ideal finish for a rifle stock. The varnishes made with these oils are far better at sealing the wood and providing a good looking and sturdy finish...when properly applied and worked in.

What’s sometimes funny, considering all the talk on here at times about “painting†rifles, is the fact that Varnish is nothing more than paint without a colored pigment added to it. With the color it’s paint...without it, it’s varnish.