Find
Notify
Tools

AR15 Buffer tube tap
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted
Anyone got one I can rent. Hate to buy one for one shot deal. 1-3/16"-16 TPI Special

Thanks

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I do not have one yet.

I believe they are reasonably priced from Brownells. (Some things are decent values there, not all, not many, but some.)

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Yeah with my dealer discount it's $44 but was trying to be a tight wad and rent it.
Oh well. I guess i'll order it. If anyone needs to use let me know.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Aren't you a tool and die maker? It should be a piece of cake to make. 20-30 minutes tops for a chaser. If you need help, let me know!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Not a chaser. Need the tap it self.

And yeah if it was just a chaser sure maybe an hour at most. But a real tap with heat treating a wee bit longer.

I picked up two AR lower forgings and have to put the buffer tube treads in. That is the last step on this project other then anodizing

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are only going to use it once or twice, it probably doesn't need to be heat treated to cut aluminum. Make it out of 0-1 or W-1 and it will take five minutes to harden and maybe 45 minutes while you do something else to temper. I've made several taps and custom shaped mill cutters with excellent results at nearly zero cost.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do it right. Buy it. I am sure I will need to rent it from you a time or two in the future.

Between the lower and upper receivers, there are two taps and two dies that are needed from time to time. Workmanship on receivers "varies".

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kerry,
Buy a 100% custom lower! They ain't that expensive.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still need the tap? sorry I missed the post till now.

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
No I ponied up and bought it.

It's late in the game for me but Butch back then a complete receiver was hard to come by. Now I have them coming out of my ears.

I see westpac's flag still flying. I miss that guy. I didn't know that was his last post here.
RIP buddy

www.KLStottlemyer.com

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I see westpac's flag still flying. I miss that guy. I didn't know that was his last post here.RIP buddy

AMEN to that salute

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote