New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Sauer 90
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
can anyone tell me if this rifle has the bolt locking lugs engaging in the rifle barrel.
I am looking to have it rebarrelled to a sensible caliber, but if the lugs lock into the barrel then its not going to happen..

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't know the exact answer but it is the same rifle as the Colt-Sauer if that helps someone who might have info on the Colt.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I believe the Colt-Sauer had locking lugs that cammed into place near the rear of the receiver when the bolt was rotated. They didn't move parallel to the bolt body but kind of hinged up at the rear and locked into recesses in the rear ring, if that's what you would call it. It certainly was a different kind of action but, it didn't lock into the barrel.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Masterifleman is correct, this is a rear locking action, and what is more the locking lugs only appear when the handle is turned. In actual fact, the bolt itself does not turn, so strictly speaking a Sauer 80/90 series rifle is not a "turn bolt" design... Because the bolt is cylindrical when retracted, the action is as smooth as snot...

This locking system has traditionally meant you had to be wary of using a Sauer 80/90 with high intensity cartridges, such as magnums. However, I have asked many Sauer 80/90 owners, and nobody ever seemed to notice any problems even with magnum calibers.

Antother interesting feature this rifle has, is a loaded chamber indicator. A little pin pops out the left side of the barrel (over the chamber) when a catridge is loaded. No other rifle (I can think of off hand) has this feature.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Sauer still makes the rifle as Sauer 90 ans 92,send them a mail, they know what too do.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks all

the FN Sauer is only different from a stanard 90 in that it is housed in an alloy reciever not dissimilar to a remmy 1100..
My barrel plumber states that the Sauer has locking lugs that are located within the Barrel, while this may be true of the 202, it sounds like the 90 does not..
regards
griff

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That does not sound like a Sauer 90 at all. I've never heard of one in aluminium. Could it be a Sauer 200 (the precurser to the 202)?

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate.
there is a picture of it on www.yorkguns.co.uk scroll down to misc in the current stock, rifle section.

regards
griff

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That is a fascinating variant I am not familiar with. It looks unlike a Sauer 90 and I can only assume the barrel has an extension in which the bolt engages.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Somewhat surprising with that 2-piece stock...

The action looks like a Sauer 80/90, though.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All,
I believe the action and barrel is Sauer, the rest is FN herstal..
Still doesn't answer the question does the bolt lock in place within the barrel.
nice gun though!
If I get my way and can rebarrel it it will be in 264 winnie..
Spoke to jon1 he was saying that there was a problem with these actions shearing the action srews..
any thoughts

regards
griff