Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun rib matting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted
Is anyone in the US doing shotgun toprib matting?

Aaron

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post

And you said to yourself: "Why would I ever need to have 30 inches of travel in a mill?"

And now you know. faint

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Glenn Fewless

http://www.acgg.org/index.php/...file/Glenn%20Fewless

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

James Anderson has a multi-wave pattern that is very impressive. I'm not sure if he can do a full length rib. He answers emails promptly. Great guy. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Rob, wouldn't you know my mill does have 30"-31" of travel. I also have a fly cutter...if nobody can do it I have options!

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I have done the fly cutter checkering many times in guns which have had their ribs cranged or discombobulated. It works well.

What looks even better is the Perazzi dish type lines. Use a 3/4 inch or 1 inch two flute carbide end mill. If you are cutting from right to left as I do (silly habit for that sort of work.) You have to tilt your head to the right about 5 to 10 degrees so that the cutter makes a slight dish profile. You have to remember that the power feed establishes your line spacing so if the column is at zero your lines will advance left side forward. You have to turn your column a few degrees to the right so that if the table is not advancing it cuts a slight right side leading. When you turn on the feed the advance of the table coupled with the slightly angled cutter will give you perfectly straight, dished lines across the rib. I have actually cut a few with very deep dishes (.020 inch deep in the center) and they are incredibly cool to sight down. It sort of drags your eye down into the center of the rib. It's also a pain in the ass to set up. Best recommendation is get a couple of long pieces of 3/8ths key stock and run it a few dozen times in a double or triple vise setup.

ADD NOTE: Mechanical feed and speed is a definite advantage for this sort of work. Electric feeds and variable speed heads make it a nightmare because feeds and speeds can change (just because). It also makes it impossible to be able to write down what you did so that you can duplicate it a day later. I haven't tried this on the mill I have now and I suspect it would be a nightmare. When I get more space I have a big Lagun universal knee with a vertical head lined up for horizontal/vertical work like that.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote