New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Stock Options - Model 54 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
all you should need to do is inlet the front of the floorplate forward and drill the hole for the front screw.

The model 70 front screw is in the flat behind the recoil lug and the 54 is in the recoil lug itself.

The location of the front barrel screw is the same as on a standard weight 270 or 30-06

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thank you -- that is very helpful.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have a rifle on a modified Model 54 Winchester action that could use a new stock. The gun is not original so I am not defacing a collectible firearm. I am primarily interested in a more scope-friendly design than the original. I put a WTB ad in the classified section but I thought I would check here to see if anyone has a source for a stock other than a semi-inlet from Richards, GAG, or the like. If I can't find anything else I will go that route, but my woodworking skills are severely limited. I whittled a stick to a point once, but my birdhouses were a cause for shame, and for all I know my seventh grade shop project is still sitting unfinished under a work bench.

If anyone has a lead where I might find something which is less work that a semi-inlet and less expensive than a custom restock (I have looked at that as well) I would love to hear about it.

Thanks.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote