New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enfield Scope Mts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just pick up a 1917 Enfield 30-06. It has been sporterized and drilled and tapped for scope mts. The screw size is 6-48. How can a person find mts for it? The gap between the very front hole to the very back hole is 5.340. There is only one hole in the back and two up front. So using a two piece bases are out of the question.

What do you thing. I ran a dial indacater across the top and front and back of the receiver are the same height.

Relive your memories take a kid hunting and fishing

Posts: 152 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 28 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Obviously it is set up for a one piece base so I would try to look up Leupold, Burris and Redfield one piece bases and see if there was a base made specifically for the Enfield which I'm sure there was.
Hopefully yours was drilled to this "standard".

If that search comes up empty I see that Brownells and a few other suppliers sell Piccatiny rail (think Weaver) that you can buy a length of and drill it to the lay out of your existing holes then use any rings that fit the Weaver style base.
Good luck with your project.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
It should be drilled to the same hole configuration as the Remington model 700 long action. You should be able to use any of the one piece bases or drill the final hole in the rear and use a #35 and #36 Weaver style base or any of the 2 piece bases for the 700.

If it was drilled to the accepted standard that is. Leave it to closet gunsmiths to dream up their own nightmares. If you say that the height is the same, then all bets are off. If the hole spacing is correct you could start with a Remington 1 piece base and mill the back end of it down to match the radius and height.

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same heights then look for a Remington model 30 base. For two piece weaver 11 both front and rear. Not sure if anyone make one piece bases for them anymore. I'd search to used market.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably the same as the Remington M30. I have two M30's that came drilled that way, both are now wearing Buehler one piece mounts. I also have some Weaver one piece steel mounts and Redfield also made them. All utilize two screws in the front ring and one in the rear but the gap from front to rear, center to center is just about 5". I think I redrilled one of the bases to fit one M30 the other worked out of the box.

PM me if you are interested in a set of the Weaver Steels, base and rings.

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote