New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a specific tool....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To unscrew this end of the compression cross bolt on Sako AIIIs and AVs (L691s).

Do I just hire someone to turn a piece of cold rolled steel to the same diameter as this fastener, then drill appropriate diameter holes with the same spacing as the two holes, then solder in two pieces of steel rod that protrude 3/16" or so. Finally mill two flats in the rolled steel bar appropriate for a wrench to turn the unit?

For a 9/16" wrench, what distance between the flats would allow the correct amount of ease in fitting the wrench? Thanks.

Will also try my snap ring pliers when I find them.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
To unscrew this end of the compression cross bolt on Sako AIIIs and AVs (L691s).

Do I just hire someone to turn a piece of cold rolled steel to the same diameter as this fastener, then drill appropriate diameter holes with the same spacing as the two holes, then solder in two pieces of steel rod that protrude 3/16" or so. Finally mill two flats in the rolled steel bar appropriate for a wrench to turn the unit?

For a 9/16" wrench, what distance between the flats would allow the correct amount of ease in fitting the wrench? Thanks.

Yup, or Brownells sells one Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find it in Brownells. Could you give me their stock/identification number? Thanks. Is it the same size as the Mauser cross bolt?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just drill two holes the same size as the holes in the pin in a flat, 1/8" or so thick bar of steel the right distance apart, and insert the non-fluted end of two appropriately sized drill bits through the holes. use a long narrow piece of steel, vaguely like a small wrench in size. For that matter, you could drill two holes in one jaw of a small open end wrench. This should be a 5 minute tool to make and use. No need to make it very sophisticated or to solder in the pins.

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

Snap ring pliers.

Or buy the tool. Be forewarned it only fits a few cross bolts. Not many. But maybe you have the right one.
https://www.brownells.com/guns...-wrench-prod416.aspx

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to you all.

I need to find the snap ring pliers to take the magazine spring retainer out of my Benelli M2 sometime before duck season. Last time I used a flat bladed screwdriver, the retainer launched long and hard. It took a while too find it. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the retainer launched long and hard. It took a while too find it. Thanks.

Gun springs tend to land in the oddest places.

Posts: 19457 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I take old flat head screw drivers and grind out the middle to make spanners for stock bolt screws. A few minutes with a dremel does the trick.

Snap ring pliers work as well, I just can never find them in the tool chest when I need them. The modified screw drivers don't walk off since they are pretty worthless for general screw turning.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I have 4 or 5 special spanners in my tool box I have had to make to fit various cross bolts and firing pin bushings. Wast you described first will work

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you use the snap ring pliers put a couple of layers of masking tape around the screw head to protect the wood in case you slip.

Posts: 3717 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to get an adjustable wrench, drill an appropriate diameter hole in each jaw. solder in that same size pin in each and have one that is adjustable.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I too use flat blade screwdrivers ground to fit them, but yours is so big that you will have to make a special one. As indicated there are many ways to skin it.
Or snap ring pliers but the teeth on them are usually small for these nuts. Looks like someone has already used a too small one on this one; see the burrs on it .

Posts: 17192 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do the same as Farbedo. Makes a good solid tool you can put some power behind. Like he says, just takes a short time to make.
Phil

Posts: 355 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the ideas. I will use the mill to drill appropriately spaced holes in the open edge of a wrench. Nice would be a slight interference fit - heat the wrench head, and cool the ass end of the correct size drill bit (s).
Yeah Tom, someone at the factory must have slipped when he tightened the cap piece. Usually, if I bugger up something, it is on the side of loosening the piece.