Find
Notify
Tools

MRC long action owners, questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Is the MRC long action long enough to build a 375 H&H on?

I've given up on converting my Ruger MKII 7mm Mag into a 375 Taylor because after I had it pillar bedded, the gun turned into a .75" shooter with a half a dozen trial loads.

So, now I have to build a DG rifle from scratch, I know that the MRC long action is not perfect for DG, but will it work?

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
My MRC long action model 1999 is actively feeding .375 H&H rounds nicely. It'll also handle the .458 Lott!

I'm making a .404 Jeffery out of it.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Yes

Quote:

I know that the MRC long action is not perfect for DG, but will it work?

Not quite sure what you mean by "not perfect for DG"?? Could you expand on that??

Do you mean, not large enough for one of the truely large cartridges (such as .416 Rigby)?? If that is the case, I can think of several cartridges I would consider up to scratch for any game on this earth that fit in the M1999 LA: .416 Rem, .404 Rimless, .458 Win Mag, .458 Lott etc etc. Even the super versatile .375 H&H is legal for DG in any country, whether one considers it a good choice is a different matter. Quite a few buff killed with .375 H&H over the years, though. A ton of DG rifles have been built on Mausers or M70 actions over the years. I don't see where the M1999 LA could be considered "the lesser action" in that comparison??
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

Yes

Quote:

I know that the MRC long action is not perfect for DG, but will it work?

Not quite sure what you mean by "not perfect for DG"?? Could you expand on that??

Do you mean, not large enough for one of the truely large cartridges (such as .416 Rigby)?? If that is the case, I can think of several cartridges I would consider up to scratch for any game on this earth that fit in the M1999 LA: .416 Rem, .404 Rimless, .458 Win Mag, .458 Lott etc etc. Even the super versatile .375 H&H is legal for DG in any country, whether one considers it a good choice is a different matter. Quite a few buff killed with .375 H&H over the years, though. A ton of DG rifles have been built on Mausers or M70 actions over the years. I don't see where the M1999 LA could be considered "the lesser action" in that comparison??
- mike

What I meant was that MRC has plans for a Professional Hunter Action to make their version of the "Perfect Dangerous Game rifle", so this would probably be a compromise in their view.

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Not really, any of the rounds MHO mentioned would need "extra" work to be used in the PH action. The magazine would probably need a spacer installed which would require the follower to be shortened. I think they will come standard with a bolt face to large for the above mentioned cases.

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post

Quote:

What I meant was that MRC has plans for a Professional Hunter Action to make their version of the "Perfect Dangerous Game rifle", so this would probably be a compromise in their view.

I doubt seriously that anyone would consider the .458 Lott, the .470 Capstick, the .404 Jeffery and the .416 Remington a compromise.

The PH model could handle the big weatherbys and the .416 Rigby but are they really better?

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More a question of fit of cartridge to action than a compromise. The M1999 LA is made for .375 H&H length (or shorter) cases, as a matter of fact it is close to perfect in that role. So if one of these cartridges take your fancy, as well they should, the LA would be the right choice. If you feel the need for something more exotic - 505 Gibbs, say - you'd have to wait X months, pay considerably more for the action, not to speak of components. I'm not pouring scorn on the big cartridges, after all what could be more classic than a .416 Rigby?? But don't imagine you can't build a totally workable DG rifle on a .375 H&H length case. One thing is for sure, the game would not feel much difference between a .416 Rigby and a .416 Rem, say.
Good luck - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote