Find
Notify
Tools

Help me figure this out...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
Why the h*ll would I need or want a camouflage stock on a rifle or shotgun??? This whole concept completely escapes me, yet I'm starting to see it more and more.

Not yet 40, and already an old fart??? Or, unwilling to take the bait of some marketing BS???

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of factory rifles with synthetic stocks. I HATE the look of black plastic so I camo'ed them myself....it's something unique

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i am with wes on this one...

I can't stand stupor-weird stocks... and camoed, well, at least they aint all THAT ugly... besides, anything but med tan is camo.... as most animals have NO color vision

oh, yeah, and I do my own painting, when it has to be done

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hangunnr
posted Hide Post
The only camo gun I own is a fully covered Mossberg 835 that serves as my primary turkey buster.

I found switching to a camo gun for this type of hunting allowed me more movement when a bird was close.

Some of the guns out there with stainless actions/ scopes wearing camo stocks do look a little silly.

hangunnr

Posts: 144 | Location: USA | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A camo shotgun makes a big difference Turkey hunting or in a crow stand. Personally, I dislike synthetic stocks. Some of my guns are tools, plain and simple, just like the hammer one drives nails with. A fresh camo job is only as far away as the spray paint section at Wal-mart...

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Quote:

A camo shotgun makes a big difference Turkey hunting or in a crow stand.

Convince me. Show me some numbers that support an increase in hunting success with the advent of these "stealth" stocks.

Good luck.

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't duck hunt do you??

Posts: 36 | Location: THE WISCONSIN | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
RSY, one doesn't need to convince anyone but themselves. I have crow hunted with and without. Jump in the woods and try to call a crow within shotgun range. The crow is one of the smartest birds on the planet. Staying concealed from a crow�s keen eyesight, while remaining clear to shoot, is difficult. Balancing a shotgun while using a mouth call is difficult. The crow will see you reach for the gun so it must be held while calling and staying concealed.
I, and many others, will keep our camo guns, thank you, and you will not understand until you experience the need. Camo, for Camo sake, is silly. It all comes down to using the correct tool for the job at hand, and keeping an open mind. Some people feel a scope on a rifle is ugly and unneeded, too. For those who enjoy owning the right tool, for the job, the camo shotgun is just another tool. Would I have my Model 21, 20ga., quail gun, camoed...? No. Would one have open iron sights on a ground hog rifle...? probably not. Should form follow function, or should function follow form? Guns are art to many, and tools to others. Some of us see the art in a quality tool, as well.

one of us
Picture of hangunnr
posted Hide Post
Convince you??? Seems you already have your mind made up.

Have you spent any time chasing turkeys? You ever been busted by a bird just for blinking when it was looking in your direction?

Whether there is any statistical data available to convince you or not is irrevelant. If the hunter feels it helps him or her is all that really matters.

hangunnr

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Yes, I duck hunt and turkey hunt with an old blued/walnut Wingmaster I've had since I was a kid, or the Citori I bought in high school. Granted, I do not go out for crow much, so I will defer to experience on that one.

Quote:

Whether there is any statistical data available to convince you or not is irrevelant.

For me, without some empirical proof, I can't proclaim the benefits of something. I/you/we can prove that a scope on a rifle will increase success, whether on varmints or big game. Camo stocks? To each his own, I guess.

Quote:

If the hunter feels it helps him or her is all that really matters.

Apparently, that's it in a nutshell, and is probably the best explanation I'll find.

RSY

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure have shot a bunch of turkeys and what not without camo on me or my gun...I still figure it as hype, based on a sucker being born every minute, motion is the real culprit to scare game, and TV is the convincer of Camo and it has become the biggest business out there, Camo, Bubba and Lone Star Beer is now a way of life....

I wonder how my grandad, who was the best turkey hunter I have ever known every killed a turkey..He called them with his smoking pipe and shot them with a Diamond Arms 20 ga. with me in his lap....

But to each his own and if it fills ones heart with joy then so be it, that is what hunting is about today, as it should be...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hangunnr
posted Hide Post
Irrelevant may not have been the best choice of words I admit.

I do feel that whatever it is that makes the hunter more confident in themselves is what works best.

I(and you may, too) know people that wouldn't even think of heading to the woods after turkey with a 20ga as your grandfather did. That dosen't make it right or wrong. That's just what worked for him.

***** FOR RAY'S EYES ONLY < !--color-->*****
Don't let out that secret about smoking a pipe out to the rest of the world.......Let's just keep that one between us.....

Have a good one.....I'm heading out to chase the deer.

hangunnr

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'll do a grassland camo pattern on my synthetic stocks just because I like it. Some of my varmint gun stocks are electric blue, or candy apple red, whatever strikes my fancy.

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Mossberg 835 UltiMag for turkeys, as well. No camo on this shotgun. I took a 25.5# tom this spring and a 26# tom last spring without camo. My 7-08AI is my go to gun for firearms deer season. It sports a stainless Shilen barrel, yet still manages to put down several deer every fall, even at close range. Movement and scent are what normally betray a hunter to his intended prey.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote